discuss: who is responsible for the tldp.org domain name

Subject: Re: [discuss] who is responsible for the tldp.org domain name
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 3 Nov 2008 09:19:25 +0000

Quoting Jean-Daniel Dodin ####@####.####

> and I had to recover my LUG domain property (the former admin lose the
> pass!!) and It was pretty difficult to convince Gandi Iwas the LUG
> chairman!  If I had to do for the LDP, I fear it to be difficult :-))

It doesn't help the current task, but just for people's information:

SVLUG (Silicon Valley Linux User Group) faced, after voting to leave the
parent group (the supposed non-profit corporation I alluded to, in a
prior post) after things didn't work out with them, of how to re-do the
group's registration of its domains to ensure that various ghastly
accidents did not occur (or occur again).

In 2006, SVLUG had almost lost its main domain to accidental expiration
because the one volunteer in charge had ignored my advice about avoiding
single points of failure, and routed e-mail for all four domain contacts
(Registrant, Administrative, Technical, and Billing) through her
personal SMTP server in her house -- and then accidentally lost the
server's configuration to handle those e-mail addresses.  Consequently,
SVLUG never received any of the renewal notices -- and was saved only
because I independently monitored its domains' payment status and paid
for the renewal, myself, when I saw that the group was not acting.

In the wake of that near-disaster, the new SVLUG administration
floundered and took no action because it was getting conflicting advice.
Finally, this year, I gained the registrar access and mandate to fix the
problem, which I did like this:

http://lists.svlug.org/archives/volunteers/2008q4/001490.html

You will note in that mailing list posting that the registrar access
tokens for the "Registrant" login at registrar Joker.com have been
made available to all of the main volunteers (about a half-dozen
people).  That login ####@####.#### gives full Web-interface
control of the domains -- with the safeguard that the Administrative and
Technical contacts' e-mail addresses go elsewhere (directly to two
specific volunteers), so that any attempted fraud or abuse using the
Registrant login can be detected and countered.

There were a number of other common judgement errors I tried to
carefully avoid in the domain setup, but it'd probably bore everyone to
detail them.  ;->