discuss: who is responsible for the tldp.org domain name

Subject: Re: [discuss] who is responsible for the tldp.org domain name
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 3 Nov 2008 08:51:09 +0000

I wrote:

> > we have several sub-domain (for example Brazil - br.tldp.org) that
> > need update.
>
> That has nothing to do with the domain ownership:  It's controlled in
> the DNS.  The DNS is published by two nameservers at UNC.

In theory, you are _supposed_ to be able to find out who's administering
a domain's DNS zonefile via its public SOA (Start of Authority) record
-- but this works only if the DNS administrator actually bothers to be
correct and informative in that record.  So, for example, the top of the
zonefile for domain linuxmafia.com is like this:

$TTL 86400
$ORIGIN linuxmafia.COM.
@       IN      SOA     ns1.linuxmafia.COM.  rick.deirdre.NET. (
                        2007102400              ; serial
                        7200                    ; refresh 2 hours
                        3600                    ; retry 1 hour
                        2419200                 ; expire 28 days
                        10800                   ; negative TTL 3 hours
                        )
;
                IN      NS      ns1.linuxmafia.com.
                IN      NS      ns2.linuxmafia.com.
                IN      NS      ns1.thecoop.net.
                IN      NS      ns.primate.net.
                IN      NS      ns.tx.primate.net.
                IN      A       198.144.195.186
                IN      MX      10      linuxmafia.COM.
                IN      HINFO   P3/500          Linux-v.2.4.24
                IN      TXT     "v=spf1 a mx -all"
                        LOC     37 25 53.825 N 122 11 52.128 W 15m

By convention, the SOA line states first the fully-qualified domain name
of the master nameserver (here, "ns1.linuxmafia.com"), followed by a
valid  e-mail address for reaching the zonefile maintainer, with the "@"
symbol turned into a period (here, address ####@####.####  This is
followed by five numbers controlling other aspects of the domain's
technical operation.

Querying the SOA for tldp.org yields:

$ dig -t soa tldp.org +short
ns.unc.edu. host-reg.ns.unc.edu. 2008101001 14400 3600 1209600 86400

So, the master nameserver is "ns.unc.edu", and you're supposedly able to
reach the guys who maintain the zonefile at e-mail address

In the real world, the e-mail address specified often goes to a mailbox
that's ignored, or reaches someone who is a NOC technician but doesn't
have authority to alter the domain.  With luck, in the latter case,
he/she will forward your mail to the right person.

(Yeah, I'm a sysadmin.  DNS is a significant part of what I do.)

--
Cheers,                "I'm sorry Dan, what's right isn't always popular,
Rick Moen              and what's popular isn't always right."