discuss: licence problems

Subject: Re: [discuss] licence problems
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 25 Sep 2008 08:18:07 +0100

Andrew M.A. Cater a écrit :

> Please note: unless they are GFDL with no invariant sections - they
> won't ever go anywhere near Debian.

it's that what is wanted at the time.

I copy here a trhread that I started inadvertently elsewhere, but is
better here

Rick Moen a écrit :

>> could there be any advantage to default LDP doc to dual licences
>> (apart making lawyers rich?)
>
> Of course there is.
>
> First of all, the author giving people additional permissions cannot
> possibly make any author rich.  If you don't mind my saying so, your
> question suggests you're confusing dual-licensing -- giving the
> recipient the choice of two alternative licences -- with the use of two
> incompatible licences within a single work.

no.

but you can have a situation where two derivative works have twxo
uncompatible licences, and how do you cope with this on the LDP? if
one author changes the beginning of the document and an other the end
of it?

and if the authors feel confident with GPL and not with GFDL, I don't
see how tha dual licencing can make them glad. I think it will make
unhappy both the users of each licence.

After all one can say: "do whatever you want of my doc", or don't say
anything and so keep all the rights, so any licence goal is to give
some rights, but not all and dual licencing only makes it more
difficult to understand.

> May I be really blunt for a moment?  I have a strong suspicion that the
> several people including yourself who've been pushing GFDL only, on this
> mailing list, have no understanding of licensing and haven't actually
> attempted to read and understand GFDL, either.

oh yes, I have!! I even have a father than lived from patents end so
patents problems are well known at home.

and I don't care of the default LDP licence, but to say we must have
one allowing derivative works to be able to change content and even
authors.

jdd
--
http://www.dodin.net