discuss: [Debian removes free documentation / technical aspects]

Subject: Re: [discuss] [Debian removes free documentation / technical aspects]
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 22 Apr 2006 22:44:54 -0000

Just on this tangent...

David Lawyer wrote:

[snip]

> If I recall correctly, I thought that "moral" rights were effective
> in the U.S. also, but are not spelled out in statue law.  This would
> mean that even if you use public domain material, you must give the
> author credit.  I've noticed that large chunks of one of my HOWTO's
> have been put on the Internet without acknowledgement that I wrote it.
> This is a violation of my "moral" rights but I'm too busy to do
> anything about it.  I wonder how often this happens to other HOWTOs.

It has happened to me. I had the strangest feeling when I saw
one of my HOWTOs chopped up into a series of articles, followed
by rather mixed feelings when the articles received good critics.

The issue was taken care of quietly.

I have also seen my writings copied verbatim on Slashdot, again
without attributions. Strange how far people are willing to go
in lowering their ethical standards for something as worthless
as Slashdot karma.

> Often the author never knows about it.  You have to search on a phrase
> from your document, picking one that no one else would be likely to
> use.

The problem is that you get a lot of hits from all the mirrors.
I discovered these things by following topics relevant to my
work and my HOWTOs and just stumbled upon it.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen