discuss: ISBN numbers for LDP docs?

Subject: Re: ISBN numbers for LDP docs?
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 5 Feb 2004 22:51:43 -0000

Glen Turner wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 07:58, Stein Gjoen wrote:

>>Are there ways of getting around these issues such as assigning
>>ownership of documents to someone else?
>
> As far as a know the LDP has no authority to alter
> the copyright assignment of HOWTOs.  These documents
> are contributed under a copyright license, not by
> copyright assignment.

I was not suggesting the LDP should do it, in fact from what
I understand only the author has the right to transfer a
copyright. TLDP, being not a legal entity, might not either
be able to hold a copyright, is that correct?

> That's no bad thing; for example, it leaves the copyright
> holder as the main party exposed to defamation actions.

I hope we never get into such a situation.

> Publishers deal with legal deposit issues as a matter
> of day-to-day business, at most all that is needed is
> a reminder that these obligations continue to exist
> when LDP HOWTOs are published.

What disturbs be is that there can be obligations we are not aware
of, such as filing copies around the world depending on authors. In
fact it is still unclear if it depended on citizenship, current
address, or address when writing the document. There are many
strange laws out there; I had hoped we would not have to check
all laws in every country.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen