discuss: Booting from a USB disk HOWTO

Subject: Re: Booting from a USB disk HOWTO
From: "Pedro M." ####@####.####
Date: 4 Feb 2004 15:45:41 -0000

jing tang wrote:
> Hi, David and Pedro,
>
> I appreciate your comments!
>
> I'd appreciate if someone could provide a list of
> Bioses that can boot USB keys so that I can put them
> in the document. I think that any USB keys could be
> configured as bootable as long as the bios is
> supporting booting from USB.

This couilde be a question to be answered in the FAQ . We can obtain
answers from http://www.linuxbios.org/ email list

Another interesting link http://linux-mtd.infradead.org/

> In case the BIOS does not support booting from USB, in
> the revised document above I've stated that the USB
> keys could work as the root file system (based on
> Charles Curley's comment). In that case the USB key
> plus a bootable floppy could still work as a whole
> Linux OS.

Use a floppy is only the last option, because the floppy is quickly
degradated by the past of the time (in everyday use).

You publish like tested USB keys (in the same FAQ or in a link from the
faq to a special page in your website):

*http://linuxmobile.sourceforge.net/english/suppliers.html
*http://linuxkey.biz

For example, my transcend key cannot be bootable because one needs DOS
boot files

Regards.

Regards.