discuss: LinuxWorld in San Francisco

Subject: Re: LinuxWorld in San Francisco
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 16 Oct 2001 04:15:33 -0000

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 11:55:40PM +0200, Stein Gjoen wrote:
> David Merrill wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 11:32:11PM +0200, Stein Gjoen wrote:
> This brings us back to the topic of LDP document distros for
> CD ROM, we never quite finished that last time. In addition to
> making an off-line archive browsable it should also be indexed
> and searchable. I like grep but I realize not everyone agrees.

I think that we shouldn't do a CD ROM.  Let the various distributions
put our docs on CD ROM.  The trouble with a CD ROM is that there is so
much that is out-of-date and the CD ROM would soon be out-of-date.
Getting our docs via a distribution on CD ROM is the most feasible way
to get them on CD ROM.  That's because there is no additional CD one
needs to buy.  Downloading a distribution package of them is another
way (say from Debian).  It's better than downloading manually from the
LDP mirror sites, provided the distribution package is current.  Often
it's not.  A package is easy to install and remove with package
management utilities.  So we may need to encourage Debian to keep
their howtos more current.  Too bad they couldn't update the howtos
for bug-fix releases.

Regarding making the off-line archive indexed and searchable, we need
to get someone to create a utility to do this or suggest grep in a
README in the howto directory.

What's still needed is an integration of the man pages, info pages,
howtos, kernel docs, and application docs.  There should be a command
to search all of these (including searching all the text of all the
docs).  It's a big project to work it all out but a previous effort at
this didn't get finished.