discuss: Inappropriate contents

Subject: Re: [discuss] Inappropriate contents
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 17 Nov 2009 08:06:13 +0000

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 10:31:25PM -0500, Robert wrote:
> Look I think we all can agree that a classy picture of a nude person
> is also considered pornography in the U.S. Perhaps in other
> countries this isn't an issue, but it seems to be here in the U.S.
>
> If you ask me, just a simple naked picture is nothing more than
> that, we all have the same parts and by nature we are all turned on
> by them. If the subjects are having intercourse or doing anything
> beyond just showcasing their body I would imagine that everyone
> throughout the world would consider thatn pornography.

No, since porn is defined as media for the purpose of sexual arousal.
"all turned on by them ??"  What about primitive societies in warm
climates where everyone went naked?  In nudist camps (or beaches)
today, "all" don't get turned on by seeing other's nude.  They just
get used to it.

Books showing the various positions for having sex are available in
bookstores and are supposedly educational rather than pornographic.
But why pick on porn?  I read an article a few months ago on the pros
and cons of porn, but can't find it just now.  Porn that doesn't contain
violence, etc. may be harmful or beneficial depended on the
circumstances.  Most people who watch porn pay nothing for it and at
least one porn site is run by volunteers with no requests for payment
or advertising (like LPD).

Thus we should treat a link to a porn site just like a link to some
other non-linux site.  I don't think we should allow links to other
sites, except to the sponsor's site.  Of course the sponsor's site can
have links to all sorts of other sites.  We can't stop them from
putting such links on the LDP main page that they mirror.  But if they
do, we can removed them from our list of mirrors after sending them a
couple of warning notices for which they don't respond to in a
positive manner (or remove the offending links).