discuss: New Content Filtering How-to

Subject: Re: New Content Filtering How-to
From: Sandy Harris ####@####.####
Date: 7 Feb 2001 18:41:05 -0000

> "Michael C. Jett" wrote:
> >
> > I have been working lately to put the tools and methods together to
> provide
> > an open-source content filtering solution together that will meet the
> > requirements for CIPA here in the States.

And I replied:

> It should include URLs for the various campaigns against "censorware":
>
> http://www.ifea.net/
> http://www.eff.org/freespeech.html
> http://www.cpsr.org/cpsr/nii/cyber-rights/

So he asks:

> Please don't misunderstand, I don't have a problem at all with adding links
> to these types of groups, and I actually support most of what they are
> striving for.  My question would be why include them here?
>
> My understanding is that these how-to's are for describing and documenting
> technical solutions to problems using linux and open-source software.  As
> this how-to is a technical discussion, and not written or slanted to try to
> advocate censorship, why should anti-censorship propaganda be included?
>
> I could very easily understand including subjects involving problems with
> the technical solutions, as in "Don't filter web content because it will
> slow your network to a crawl", but why include subjects such as "Don't
> filter web content because it violates people's rights?"  I guess the
> analogy that pops into my head would be including a link to spam-abuse
> groups in the Mail Administrator HOWTO.

Good idea, I'd say.

> And like I said in opening this message, I don't have a problem with
> including them at all, if that's what should be done.  My understanding of
> the system, however, is that it's technical information, not advocacy.

Of course HowTos should focus on technical problems and solutions.

However, this piece of technology purports to be a solution to a social problem.
Filters will prevent porn, protect children from pedophiles, etc. Discussion
of the social issues is therefore a vital part of evaluating the technical
solutions proposed.

I'm not saying that you should go into complex arguments for or against, only
that you need to say the whole thing is controversial and provide some URLs.