discuss: New Content Filtering How-to

Subject: RE: New Content Filtering How-to
From: "Michael C. Jett" ####@####.####
Date: 7 Feb 2001 18:19:11 -0000

Please don't misunderstand, I don't have a problem at all with adding links
to these types of groups, and I actually support most of what they are
striving for.  My question would be why include them here?

My understanding is that these how-to's are for describing and documenting
technical solutions to problems using linux and open-source software.  As
this how-to is a technical discussion, and not written or slanted to try to
advocate censorship, why should anti-censorship propaganda be included?

I could very easily understand including subjects involving problems with
the technical solutions, as in "Don't filter web content because it will
slow your network to a crawl", but why include subjects such as "Don't
filter web content because it violates people's rights?"  I guess the
analogy that pops into my head would be including a link to spam-abuse
groups in the Mail Administrator HOWTO.

And like I said in opening this message, I don't have a problem with
including them at all, if that's what should be done.  My understanding of
the system, however, is that it's technical information, not advocacy.

And BTW, thanks very much for the other pointers...

Respectfully,

Mike Jett