discuss: Migration process of the existing documents to Wiki

Subject: Re: [discuss] Migration process of the existing documents to Wiki
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 30 Jul 2008 19:04:16 +0100

Quoting Frank Lichtenheld ####@####.####

> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 09:52:24PM -0600, ####@####.#### wrote:
> > It shouldn't be a responsibility of the TLDP to provide anything than
> > the place for the information and mailing list.  If people want to
> > publish the documents they can do it on their own.  Focus on ease of
> > access rather than pleasing everyone.
>
> I disagree:
>
> 1) If no thought is spend on how to build stand-alone versions of the
> documentation, experience shows it gets really difficult to add this
> facility later.
> 2) If the building of other formats is to be supported it should be done
> at the source to avoid everyone having to reinvent the wheel (which is
> arguably the case right now with the current build scripts)
> 3) More formats means wider distributions which means wider testing and
> review which means more feedback (obviously not at no cost, so there is
> a balance here to find, but I doubt it is at "one format only").
>
> From my POV as a distribution packager it would be very sad to see if
> the LDP would finally make it possible to feed back user and developer
> input by simultaniously making it harder to distribute the documents
> at all.

Hear, hear.

I'm seeing a lot of new names who apparently are enthusiasts of dynamic
Web sites with public editing features.  Those are fine and lovely, and
I like and administer them, too -- but LDP is in the business of
collecting and publishing a set of documents, not just "providing the
place for the information and the mailing list".

Producing proper standalone versions of LDP documentation is not just
_a_ goal, it's _the_ goal.