discuss: Migration process of the existing documents to Wiki

Subject: Re: [discuss] Migration process of the existing documents to Wiki
From: Frank Lichtenheld ####@####.####
Date: 30 Jul 2008 17:43:29 +0100

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 09:52:24PM -0600, ####@####.#### wrote:
> It shouldn't be a responsibility of the TLDP to provide anything than
> the place for the information and mailing list.  If people want to
> publish the documents they can do it on their own.  Focus on ease of
> access rather than pleasing everyone.

I disagree:

1) If no thought is spend on how to build stand-alone versions of the
documentation, experience shows it gets really difficult to add this
facility later.
2) If the building of other formats is to be supported it should be done
at the source to avoid everyone having to reinvent the wheel (which is
arguably the case right now with the current build scripts)
3) More formats means wider distributions which means wider testing and
review which means more feedback (obviously not at no cost, so there is
a balance here to find, but I doubt it is at "one format only").

From my POV as a distribution packager it would be very sad to see if
the LDP would finally make it possible to feed back user and developer
input by simultaniously making it harder to distribute the documents
at all.

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld ####@####.####