discuss: Migration process of the existing documents to Wiki

Subject: Re: [discuss] Migration process of the existing documents to Wiki
From: "Robert Spencer" ####@####.####
Date: 21 Jul 2008 00:12:31 +0100

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 10:34 PM, Svetoslav P. Chukov
####@####.#### wrote:
> After the meeting at 19.07.2008 several questions raised. One of them is
> about the migration of the existing documents to the Wiki.
> So, we need to clear that question. Let's everybody post his/her opinion. We
> need as many as possible for real view on that topic.
>
> 1. How to migrate the existing DocBooc XML and SGML documents to wiki?

I'm working on a script to do that, the real problem is getting the
wiki text back into docbook. The only idea I can come up with is to
use special hidden tags in the wiki markup.

> 2.How to be organized?

Moin handles pages in a flat hierarchy, any apparent nesting is fake
and not recommended below 2 levels. Use tags instead. It's the same as
the difference between Gmail's way of handling mail and folder system
the rest use.

> 3. What about the old documents?

I want them all back. It was a bad idea to remove them. If a user is
looking for doc's and doesn't find them in the LDP site he just
Googles to the one that does.

A better option is to keep the old doc's and attach a reason why they
are no longer relevant, that way the user learns and doesn't just go
on to some other potentially dangerous post somewhere else.

I've Googled for old version of doc's that are no longer in the LDP
site and found them in old abandoned LDP mirrors. So the doc's are out
there.

> 4. License? Could we edit the documents *without* the permission of their
> authors?

The licence issue sucks and I consider it a bug that needs to be
squashed. Unfortunately what to do about the situation needs to be
handled on a case by case bases.

--
Robert Spencer