discuss: Migration process of the existing documents to Wiki

Subject: Re: [discuss] Migration process of the existing documents to Wiki
From: John Eikenberry ####@####.####
Date: 21 Jul 2008 03:46:28 +0100

Svetoslav P. Chukov wrote:

> After the meeting at 19.07.2008 several questions raised. One of them is
> about the migration of the existing documents to the Wiki.
> So, we need to clear that question. Let's everybody post his/her opinion. We
> need as many as possible for real view on that topic.
>
> 1. How to migrate the existing DocBooc XML and SGML documents to wiki?

Are they all going to be migrated? If so, how is the existing CVS system
going to be integrated into the wiki system? Are the active documents
maintained via CVS going to be kept separate, are they going to be mirrored
into the wiki via a script or something else?

> 2.How to be organized?

I think the current organization is good with the addition of an archive
section or something similar for the outdated documents.

> 3. What about the old documents?

I agree with those others who believe nothing should be removed completely.
They are of interest in a historical light, as a reference of what is
outdated as well as being useful to people stuck using the old systems for
whatever reason.

> 4. License? Could we edit the documents *without* the permission of their
> authors?

This of course depends on the licence. Restrictive licenses could be dealt
with in several ways depending on the document. Outdated documents could
simple be archived. Still relevant documents could be kept pristine but
allow for comments either at the end or in-line depending on what the wiki
permits.

Non-restrictive licences could be edited of course. But I think that there
should be an attempt to contact the original author before doing so. They
may not want their document edited after the fact, or they may want to make
sure their name is taken off as the primary maintainer, etc.

--

John Eikenberry
####@####.#### - http://zhar.net]