discuss: Ready for review: first five chapters of Windows-to-Linux Guide

Subject: Re: [discuss] Ready for review: first five chapters of Windows-to-Linux Guide
From: Yaroslav Fedevych ####@####.####
Date: 5 Jun 2006 09:24:27 -0000

On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 12:10:23PM -0400, Omari Norman wrote:

> Good point; I've always gotten my mp3s to work, but it's more trouble
> than getting OGGs to work. The only question is, which is more
> trouble: getting MP3 to work, or converting a bunch of MP3s to OGG?
> I'll present the choices and let readers decide.

You better tell how to make MP3 work (libmad, xmms, bmp, mplayer, moc,
whatever) (altho' it works anyway out of the box  on Debian, by the
way), because after recompression of MP3 to OGG (well, not anyone has
all CDs digitized, there are people who got the music right in MP3 from
the very start) the music will sound like crap. (MP3 thrashes one kind
of harmonics, OGG thrashes another kind of them, the result is terrible.
A definite no-no for those who haven't elephants stomped on their ears.)

--
    * I think we all need to take our teachers with multiple grains of
	salt. They have, after all, figured out their stuff at a much slower