discuss: Ready for review: first five chapters of Windows-to-Linux Guide

Subject: Re: [discuss] Ready for review: first five chapters of Windows-to-Linux Guide
From: "Alexey Eremenko" ####@####.####
Date: 4 Jun 2006 16:23:44 -0000

> > please give recommendation to use those free format when on Linux -
> > and provide links to support those formats on Windows too - so for
> > dual-boot users - we will recommend Free formats.
>
> Good point; I've always gotten my mp3s to work, but it's more trouble
> than getting OGGs to work. The only question is, which is more
> trouble: getting MP3 to work, or converting a bunch of MP3s to OGG?
> I'll present the choices and let readers decide.

OK - but for Linux Free formats to win - we must push for it.

Under Linux it is *possible* to run always as root - but it's bad
Linux practise and normal on Windows.

While it's easy (for Linux user) to install MP3 codecs on Linux - it
will be politically correct to "push" recompression to OGG, which in
the long-term will make OGG vorbis a strong format & will drive
consumer electonics (read Flash MP3 players) and third-party software
to support OGG better.

I believe that this article must have some small political aspect -
but user should not feel it.
------
Final verdict:
Tell both ways, but recommend & explain better the Free formats way.

-Alexey.E.