wiki: Revision History & and periodical freezes

Subject: Revision History & and periodical freezes
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 27 Aug 2008 17:37:10 +0100

Hello :-)

HOWTOs need a "revision history tag". However, now we have a wiki, so
revision are to be done each minute or so, and it's not usefull to add
  a revision history line for each typo edited.

I'm very gratefull to the people who took the time to correct my typos
and ortograph mistakes (too many :-(), but we must take into account
the *readers* needs. Wiki already have an history of the work (see
info) and the last modified date (bottom of each page).

So I propose we only add a revision history line when the author feels
it's necessary. At least when making static pages from wiki.

Of course this is to be discussed ! when anybody could give advice,
the result will be written to the author's page.

In fact we should discuss on the way how will the relation from the
wiki and the static mirrored site setup.

That mean, when, how and why should we "freeze" the wiki. Remember,
it's necessary to mirror the HOWTOs and include then into
distributions or other CDs

I see several way to do so, very different in scope:

* do this each quarter. Each quarter (January, April...), the wiki
will be freezed, that is only the registered Authors can write and
only to they own HOWTO. After, say, 15 days, all the HOWTOs are copied
to dockbook and to the static web site.

-> pretty hard to manage, I guess, but distros work like that

* manage the ACL's of moin to allow the author of a HOWTO to freeze
his HOWTO at will. When the author is happy of the result, he mails
the discuss list, add a "to be stored" tag to his howto and copy the
page to a new wiki page for editing again. (or the other way round)

->more author friendly, but need some work from the author. more like
the present management

* ??? any other idea??

thanks
jdd