i18n: Thread: Re: Some ideas on General Style

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: Some ideas on General Style
From: Nicolas Chauvat ####@####.####
Date: 15 Apr 2002 15:22:55 -0000

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, David Merrill wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 09:55:09AM +0200, Nicolas Chauvat wrote:
>
> > FWIW, the french LDP team is currently discussing moving to fr.tldp.org
> > and integrating more tightly with en.tldp.org. David (Merril), we would
> > like to get access to "your" database, be able to add a table of
> > translators, generate HTML progress reports from the result of SQL
> > queries, send announces of documents updates to mailing-lists, etc. That's
> > a short-term goal (weeks).
>
> I will be working on i18n support during this week and next. I am on
> schedule, currently I estimate I will have a usable release ready in
> about 6-10 weeks. (I originally estimated 2-3 months, about 3-4 weeks
> ago).

That's good news.

> This is longer than your desired timeframe. If you can help me write
> the code, then the time could be reduced, but if I do it all myself it
> will probably take that long.

Very good, what can we do to help ? Is there any place where you state
what you intend to do and how you intend to do it ?

I found the Lampadas announce on lupercalia.net, but that's it. Where
should I look for more info ?

> And that does not include some of the features you are requesting. I
> will do them, but will need to think about the best way to do it.

What are the features you plan on implementing ? What would be the missing
features ?

We discussed a lot about "best ways" recently on ####@####.#### and
would like to share our views on the subject. What should we start with ?

> Yes. Lampadas will not be English-centric. Submissions in any language
> are accepted, and can be translated to any other language.

I am glad to hear that ! The french LDP team will be happy to provide
you with as much support as we can manage, where do we start ? :-)

--
Nicolas Chauvat

http://www.logilab.com - "Mais où est donc Ornicar ?" - LOGILAB, Paris (France)

From: Nicolas Chauvat ####@####.####
Date: 16 Apr 2002 09:34:32 -0000

[last post to discuss and i18n, thread is moving to lampadas ML]

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, David Merrill wrote:

> All my notes are published on my web site.

I read them. Looks good.

> Yes, I would. I actually know Python a bit also. But if we're going to
> go rewriting things, you'd damned well better be committed to helping,
> both with the rewrite and continued development after that.

I'm willing to help. Others from the traduc mailing list will be helping
too. You won't be alone.

> It was a toss-up for me whether to go with Perl or Python anyway. And
> as you probably know, 80% of the job is not the code itself, but
> understanding the problem. So a rewrite wouldn't take more than a week
> or so for a good coder.
>
> I assume you can read Perl well enough to do a reimplementation? It is
> not very complex Perl, after all.

I don't read perl but checked things out of CVS yesterday and started
porting the code to Python. There are a couple things I'll need help with,
but so far, I managed to make some sense out of the code.

I'll post my questions to the lampadas ML.