i18n: Thread: [cvs - location of translatated files]

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: [cvs - location of translatated files]
From: --s+ ####@####.####
Date: 27 Apr 2002 22:21:20 -0000

Welcome,

my question  is about  where in  cvs tree  put translated
documents.

Please  look on  http://cvsview.tldp.org/ and  choose the
place, and send your proposition to the list.

Only one suggestion is not  to make separated modules for
each translation team, because it will complicate looking
what translations for concrete howto or guide is started.

thanks -
Sergio
--
      http://ibiblio.org/ser/ | http://it-zone.org/
tldp.org|gnu.org|hyperreal.info|pld-linux.org|it-zone.org
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 28 Apr 2002 14:00:10 -0000

On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 12:21:17AM +0200, --s+ wrote:
> Welcome,
>
> my question  is about  where in  cvs tree  put translated
> documents.
>
> Please  look on  http://cvsview.tldp.org/ and  choose the
> place, and send your proposition to the list.
>
> Only one suggestion is not  to make separated modules for
> each translation team, because it will complicate looking
> what translations for concrete howto or guide is started.

I would like to see each document placed in its own *directory*, with
a subdir under there for each translation...

/howto/docbook/EN/i18n-HOWTO.sgml
/howto/docbook/ES/i18n-HOWTO.sgml
/howto/docbook/FR/i18n-HOWTO.sgml
/howto/docbook/DE/i18n-HOWTO.sgml

I have my own reason for this, which is that having a separate dir for
each document will make securing an author's cvs access easier for
Lampadas. It only has to know the directory, and can infer from that
what translations are available programmatically. It is always better
to do things programmatically if you can.

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

How do you leave the past behind
When it keeps finding ways to get to your heart
It reaches way down deep and tears you inside out
Till you're torn apart
	-- RENT
From: Nicolas Chauvat ####@####.####
Date: 29 Apr 2002 10:48:23 -0000

> Welcome,
>
> my question  is about  where in  cvs tree  put translated
> documents.
>
> Please  look on  http://cvsview.tldp.org/ and  choose the
> place, and send your proposition to the list.
>
> Only one suggestion is not  to make separated modules for
> each translation team, because it will complicate looking
> what translations for concrete howto or guide is started.

If we are to now consider the LDP as an international project, I'd
suggest keeping the directory layout we have, change document names
from Some-HOWTO.sgml to Some-HOWTO.en.sgml and add other translations in
the same directory: Some-HOWTO.fr.sgml, Some-HOWTO.it.sgml, etc...

--
Nicolas Chauvat

http://www.logilab.com - "Mais où est donc Ornicar ?" - LOGILAB, Paris (France)

From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 29 Apr 2002 15:48:13 -0000

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 12:48:22PM +0200, Nicolas Chauvat wrote:
> > Welcome,
> >
> > my question  is about  where in  cvs tree  put translated
> > documents.
> >
> > Please  look on  http://cvsview.tldp.org/ and  choose the
> > place, and send your proposition to the list.
> >
> > Only one suggestion is not  to make separated modules for
> > each translation team, because it will complicate looking
> > what translations for concrete howto or guide is started.
>
> If we are to now consider the LDP as an international project, I'd
> suggest keeping the directory layout we have, change document names
> from Some-HOWTO.sgml to Some-HOWTO.en.sgml and add other translations in
> the same directory: Some-HOWTO.fr.sgml, Some-HOWTO.it.sgml, etc...

We *are* to now consider the LDP as an international project. We had
complete agreement on that point. And your suggestion sounds sensible
to me.

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####
Lead Developer                                 http://www.tldp.org

If one company dominates everything, it's dangerous. You kill innovation and
you lose the capacity to create alternatives. Ultimately, that isn't good
for the consumer or the country.
	--Samuel Miller, U.S. Justice Department
From: --s+ ####@####.####
Date: 1 May 2002 18:39:22 -0000

--->[Quoting Nicolas Chauvat ####@####.####

> If we are  to now consider the LDP  as an international
> project, I'd  suggest keeping  the directory  layout we
> have,  change document  names  from Some-HOWTO.sgml  to
> Some-HOWTO.en.sgml  and add  other translations  in the
> same directory: Some-HOWTO.fr.sgml, Some-HOWTO.it.sgml,
> etc...

Well, well -  but what is about e.g  guides? Author Guide
is one directory  with several small files.  Do we change
name of each file or directory only?