editors: Thread: Let's profile our reviewers! (was Re: Short getting-to-know-talk for WN)

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Let's profile our reviewers! (was Re: Short getting-to-know-talk for WN)
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 3 Dec 2003 00:56:08 -0000

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 09:49, Machtelt Garrels wrote:
> Is it possible to get each of the new reviewers to present themselves in a
> couple of lines, and have them send a little picture of themselves to me?
> I'd like to include that in a weekly news article.
> I wonder btw how many actual reviewers we have?  Maybe we can do the
> existing ones in another edition of WN?  What do you think?

I think that's a great idea!

I'm cc'ing this to the reviewers.  All of you who are subscribed and
actively reviewing, please "Reply All" (I want copies too!).  Please
tell us whether you are a technical reviewer, language reviewer or both,
and a little about yourself, along with a photo if you have one.

We'll eventually have a database to put this info in, but in the
meantime, you all need some exposure so everyone knows we HAVE a review
team and can get to know you!

I would definitely like to see our reviewers profiled in an LWN
edition.  This is your chance for publicity, folks!  Speak up!

Incidentally there ARE benefits to doing this.  I was interviewed by the
Oregon Business Journal last week!  They're doing a feature on Linux,
and wanted to ask me some questions and quote me on some subjects.  It
was strange but fun to be interviewed, and had it not been for
volunteering with the LDP, it may have never happened.  The article
should be out in the middle of December; I'll forward a link when it
comes out!

(And thanks, Tille, for being the FIRST to interview me!)

Cheers!
Tab

--
Tabatha Marshall
Web: www.merlinmonroe.com

From: "Jennifer Riley" ####@####.####
Date: 4 Dec 2003 15:09:58 -0000

Language reviewer for now, working on becoming a technical reviewer over time. Yesterday I mentioned to Tabatha I like polishing other people's writing; my core competencies are writing and editing. After earning a masters degree in English, I decided not to pursue a Ph.D. and instead signed up for many programming courses. I took Basic and Fortran when they were eight week courses in the business department; computer Science as an academic discipline had not yet been invented! I used DEC's Datatrieve and remember how magical everyone thought it was to sort social security numbers into ascending order. I have relocated once, so far, and live on the US East Coast. I located a good technical writing program. The day after I met the admission requirements, I learned I was going to Rome, Italy, on the basis of a technical report I edited. My teachers were supportive or miffed, depending on their world view. During my last minute in Rome I had a unique experience that I am trying
 to turn into a written account or novel, but I haven't figured out the words that capture the moment. No piccy available!

Regards,
Jennifer Riley
> On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 09:49, Machtelt Garrels wrote:
> > Is it possible to get each of the new reviewers to present themselves in a
> > couple of lines, and have them send a little picture of themselves to me?
> > I'd like to include that in a weekly news article.
> > I wonder btw how many actual reviewers we have?  Maybe we can do the
> > existing ones in another edition of WN?  What do you think?

-snip-
Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm

From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 4 Dec 2003 23:57:21 -0000

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 04:55:39PM -0800, Tabatha Marshall wrote:
> I'm cc'ing this to the reviewers.  All of you who are subscribed and
> actively reviewing, please "Reply All" (I want copies too!).  Please
> tell us whether you are a technical reviewer, language reviewer or both,
> and a little about yourself, along with a photo if you have one.

Emma Jane Hogbin <-- that's me
http://emmajane.net/images/ejh-april02.jpg
most pictures after the summer of 2002 have an additional attachment:
http://emmajane.net/images/gk-ejh-july03.jpg (use the top picture for
distribution, please)

I'm currently a technical reviewer and markup fixer-upper. I cannot spel,
so it is unlikely I will ever do a language review. :) By day I am a
freelance web developer [1] and college instructor (web/Internet
technologies), by night I bind books [2]. I joined the LDP team shortly after
writing my ACPI HOWTO. Werner Heuser (of tuxmobil.org fame) asked me to
submit my HOWTO to the LDP. The rest is history^H^H^H archived somewhere
in a mailing list, somewhere, I'm sure. I'm currently working on
the LDP Author Guide, and will be submitting a revised edition of the ACPI
HOWTO "shortly."

[1] www.xtrinsic.com
[2] www.strangelittlegirl.com

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]
From: "Doris" ####@####.####
Date: 5 Dec 2003 09:59:41 -0000

Hello all, I am a technical editor, who is currently a SAHM to my two and
half year old.  In my first life, I worked for a couple of companies in the
IT department where I did support, training, and documentation.  During that
time, I was going to school for my Computer Science Degree, but stopped
since I was progressing real nicely without one :)  (It was the early years,
you know how that went)...

Then, I burnt out. In my second life, I slowed down, went back to school and
earned a degree in Communications with a Minor in Technical Writing.
Currently, while I am at home gestating, I am getting my desktop publishing
business off the ground.  I would like to keep my skills (writing, editing,
and technical) up while I am home raising my kids, so when its time to go
back out there, I can jump right back in.  So, I figured that this is the
best place to do some real life work to keep my skills sharp - plus, learn
quite a bit and keep up with the technology at the same time.
I am also bilingual (Spanish and English).  I guess native Spanish because
it was the first language I learned, but English is my most dominant
language.  If you need me to look translating some docs, I would not mind
giving it a shot.

Oh! What happens to my son while I am editing or working on a project you
might ask?  Well, he sits right next to me on the other computer and works
the heck out of SesameStreet.com and Disney.com.  Really, this kid's a
genius...total mouse control!  We hope to have him programming real soon.
;)

Well, that its for now.

Doris Cross

"When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let
it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened."

--John M. Richardson, Jr.

From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 5 Dec 2003 13:58:47 -0000

Tabatha Marshall wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 09:49, Machtelt Garrels wrote:
>
>>Is it possible to get each of the new reviewers to present themselves in a
>>couple of lines, and have them send a little picture of themselves to me?

well... I'm french, I teach mechanical engeneering half time and write
linux courses for learning through internet the other part.

I used to write books (HP-41, do you know that?) ans was 20 years ago
edited in US.

my main interest is writing for beginners

see others things on my wab site below

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net