editors: Thread: DocBook XML 4.1.2 Quick Start Guide

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: DocBook XML 4.1.2 Quick Start Guide
From: Tabatha Persad ####@####.####
Date: 13 Jun 2002 20:17:07 -0000

Hi all,

A few months back, I found the above HOWTO at:
http://www.jimweller.net/jim/dbxmlqs/index.html

This got me started with DocBook after spending weeks of frustration
at it.  I have since passed it on to many people who've passed
through the DocBook mailing list and the Discuss mailing list.

The author does have a copyright with the GFDL applied, although
inclusion of the full license is missing.  I think this would make a
wonderful inclusion to the collection, and wondering what we do -
suggest this to the Discuss mailing list and see what everyone thinks?

I have previously emailed the author thanking him for the
instructions.  I suggested he submit it but I never received a reply.
 The only caveat I have about the howto is regarding the installation
of openjade, as he instructs to download the tarball.  Since most
distros include openjade rpms, a user should first try that route,
but other than that, the instructions work to the letter.

The pubdate was May 2001, and the last revision was November 2001.
It looks like a great doc.  Let me know what you think!

Thanks,
--
Tabatha Persad
Web: http://www.merlinmonroe.com
From: "Joy Y Goodreau" ####@####.####
Date: 13 Jun 2002 20:59:37 -0000

My understanding of how we have done documentation in the past is that it
has to come from an author or maintainer. The reason for this is so that
the document is kept up to date. The document may be able to be added to
the tools page of the LDP or referenced in the author guide even if it is
not part of our collection. Without the author's consent, I don't believe
it is our habit to move documentation to the LDP from a source we find on
the outside.

That said, if the author does not want or respond to the document going
onto the LDP site, our choice may be to write one of our own. Another
option may be to contact the author officially and ask to be a
co-maintainer of the document since it has not been updated since Nov. You
might add that you would like to say that you have a couple of ideas about
information you would like to add to the document and that you would
maintain it once it got onto the LDP and send him copies of the source.

I have copied Greg Ferguson on this in order to get his feedback. I think
that we should hear from him on what is the "usual" way to handle this
within the organization before posting to the discuss list in case I am off
base on this one. I'm not sure what we are hoping to accomplish posting to
the discuss list unless it is writers who want to write a similar document.

Thanks,

joy

Joy Y. Goodreau
Linux Information Developer
LDP Collections Editor
Ofc. (512) 838-4118
T/L 678-4118
####@####.####

                      Tabatha Persad
                      ####@####.####        To:       ####@####.####
                      om>                      cc:       Joy Y Goodreau/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
                      06/13/2002 12:22
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      tabatha3

From: Tabatha Persad ####@####.####
Date: 14 Jun 2002 19:03:13 -0000

This is excellent information, thanks for letting me know - as well
as where to find it!

I think I'll look into the possibilities on this one, I think it's
worth it!

Thanks!
Tab