docbook: Thread: Gerd Berget's HOWTO hierarchy as DocBook

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Gerd Berget's HOWTO hierarchy as DocBook
From: Dave ####@####.####
Date: 20 Feb 2005 20:18:31 -0000

Once the TLDP HOWTO categories are finalized it would be relatively easy
to create the hierarchy using DocBook XML.  This DocBook document,
together with some XSL transforms, could be used for a number of things
one of which would be to generate a master index of the TLDP site based
on the hierarchy of categories.

I have put together a sample document which can be viewed at:
http://www.happy-monkey.net/docbook/tldp-hierachy.xml  It does not
contain the full hierarchy, but has the basic structure with comments
and a few examples of actual HOWTOs.  It should be easy to view in any
XML capable browser or as plain text.

Is this DocBook hierarchy a worthwhile quest?  Any questions or
comments, please let me know.

Dave Horton
Subject: Re: Gerd Berget's HOWTO hierarchy as DocBook
From: "G Ferguson / LDP" ####@####.####
Date: 20 Feb 2005 20:55:52 -0000

> Once the TLDP HOWTO categories are finalized it
> would be relatively easy  to create the hierarchy
> using DocBook XML.

Errr...that's (more or less) exactly what our HOWTO-INDEX provides:

  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/categories.html

Which happens to be a DocBook marked-up document in
it's source form.

--
Greg Ferguson / LDP volunteer
####@####.####
From: David Horton ####@####.####
Date: 20 Feb 2005 21:50:40 -0000

G Ferguson / LDP wrote:
>>Once the TLDP HOWTO categories are finalized it
>>would be relatively easy  to create the hierarchy
>>using DocBook XML.
>
> Errr...that's (more or less) exactly what our HOWTO-INDEX provides:
>
>   http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/categories.html
>
> Which happens to be a DocBook marked-up document in
> it's source form.

Ah, I assumed incorrectly that it was just HTML.