docbook: Thread: Updated CSS for HOWTOs

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Updated CSS for HOWTOs
From: Saqib Ali ####@####.####
Date: 7 Mar 2004 01:30:18 -0000

Hello All,

I have written a new CSS for displaying HOWTOs. Here is a sample output:

http://www.xml-dev.com:8080/tldp/http://www.xtrinsic.com/geek/articles/acpi.xml
and
http://www.xml-dev.com:8080/tldp/http://tibberio.freeshell.org/pock-it/Pocket-Linux-Guide/Pocket-Linux-Guide.xml

(watch for line wraps)

Here are more sample: http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/#88

So how does the new formating looks? Is it is any good or should I change
the colors?

Thanks.
Saqib Ali
-------------
http://validate.sf.net <---- (X)HTML / DocBook Validator and Transformer

Subject: Re: Updated CSS for HOWTOs
From: David Horton ####@####.####
Date: 7 Mar 2004 02:28:53 -0000

Saqib Ali wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have written a new CSS for displaying HOWTOs. Here is a sample output:
>
> http://www.xml-dev.com:8080/tldp/http://www.xtrinsic.com/geek/articles/acpi.xml
> and
> http://www.xml-dev.com:8080/tldp/http://tibberio.freeshell.org/pock-it/Pocket-Linux-Guide/Pocket-Linux-Guide.xml
>
> (watch for line wraps)
>
> Here are more sample: http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/#88
>
> So how does the new formating looks? Is it is any good or should I change
> the colors?
>

> Thanks.
> Saqib Ali
> -------------

Saqib,

CSS is a great idea for TLDP.  It gives the documents a much nicer look
than plain old unstyled HTML.  I'm glad to see that you chose a
sans-serif font.  It makes things much easier to read on a screen than
the Times Roman font that is standard on so many browsers.

I would like to offer the following suggestions for the sample stylesheets:

* Margins and whitespace make documents easier to read.  A 5% to 10%
margin would be nice and would equate to about 1/2 an inch to an inch on
US Letter sized paper.  I would also suggest margins in boxed text like
<programlisting>'s.

* A high contrast black text on white background would be easier to read
than a colored text on white.  I would go high contrast on the body text
and save the colored text for the headings and other things that need to
stand out.

* I would choose a different overall color scheme.  I am not an expert
on color, but I picked up a few things from my dad the art teacher.  :^)
  You might try a monochromatic or analogous color scheme.  (Here's a
site showing some examples:
http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-theory-basics.html)  Cordinating
the heading colors, link colors and border colors for boxes can add a
professional touch.

You have an excellent start with the current stylesheet.  A few tweaks
and it will be brilliant.  I would love to see the final product adopted
for docs served up at the TLDP website.

Dave

From: Saqib Ali ####@####.####
Date: 7 Mar 2004 03:22:59 -0000

Hello David,

Thanks for the response,

> * Margins and whitespace make documents easier to read.  A 5% to 10%
> margin would be nice and would equate to about 1/2 an inch to an inch on
> US Letter sized paper.  I would also suggest margins in boxed text like
> <programlisting>'s.

I added the margin to overall document. But I am not sure howto add margin
inside the <programlisting>. If anyone has any idea on how to do this,
please let me know.

> * A high contrast black text on white background would be easier to read
> than a colored text on white.  I would go high contrast on the body text
> and save the colored text for the headings and other things that need to
> stand out.
I changed the text color to black (#000000).

> * I would choose a different overall color scheme.  I am not an expert
> on color, but I picked up a few things from my dad the art teacher.  :^)
>   You might try a monochromatic or analogous color scheme.  (Here's a
> site showing some examples:
> http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-theory-basics.html)  Cordinating
> the heading colors, link colors and border colors for boxes can add a
> professional touch.

This will take some time for me to learn color theory. Anyone wants to
help me??? :)

Thanks.
Saqib Ali
-------------
http://validate.sf.net <---- (X)HTML / DocBook Validator and Transformer

From: David Horton ####@####.####
Date: 7 Mar 2004 14:20:33 -0000

Saqib Ali wrote:
> Hello David,
>
> Thanks for the response,
>

>>* Margins and whitespace make documents easier to read.  A 5% to 10%
>>margin would be nice and would equate to about 1/2 an inch to an inch on
>>US Letter sized paper.  I would also suggest margins in boxed text like
>><programlisting>'s.
>

> I added the margin to overall document. But I am not sure howto add margin
> inside the <programlisting>. If anyone has any idea on how to do this,
> please let me know.
>

>>* A high contrast black text on white background would be easier to read
>>than a colored text on white.  I would go high contrast on the body text
>>and save the colored text for the headings and other things that need to
>>stand out.
>
> I changed the text color to black (#000000).
>

>>* I would choose a different overall color scheme.  I am not an expert
>>on color, but I picked up a few things from my dad the art teacher.  :^)
>>  You might try a monochromatic or analogous color scheme.  (Here's a
>>site showing some examples:
>>http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-theory-basics.html)  Cordinating
>>the heading colors, link colors and border colors for boxes can add a
>>professional touch.
>

> This will take some time for me to learn color theory. Anyone wants to
> help me??? :)
>
> Thanks.
> Saqib Ali

Saqib,

Here is an example of a stylesheet that uses a very conservative
monochromatic color scheme (black, white and grey) and uses margins
around the document and in the <programlisting>'s <note>'s and such.

http://my.core.com/~dhorton/docbook/mozbook/MozBook.css

This stylesheet is intended to style DocBook XML directly, so it won't
work on HTML without modification.  However, if you are using the
Mozilla browser you can see the application of style by visiting:

http://my.core.com/~dhorton/docbook/mozbook/sample.xml

Feel free to use the stylesheet, modify it, borrow from it or whatever.

Dave
From: Saqib Ali ####@####.####
Date: 7 Mar 2004 16:21:40 -0000

Hello Machtelt,

Thanks for the feedback:

> I like the displays of notes and warnings and such, but maybe you can put
> in the little icons from stylesheet-images to make it extra clear which is
> which.
I almost forgot about these. Thanks for reminding. I fixed it the
admonition icon. Try these:

http://www.xml-dev.com:8080/tldp/http://www.xtrinsic.com/geek/articles/acpi.xml
or
http://www.xml-dev.com:8080/tldp/http://tibberio.freeshell.org/pock-it/Pocket-Linux-Guide/Pocket-Linux-Guide.xml
or
http://www.xml-dev.com:8080/tldp/http://cvsview.tldp.org/index.cgi/*checkout*/LDP/guide/docbook/Intro-Linux/abook.xml

(watch for line wraps)

Here are more samples >>> http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/#88

> When you click on a link and then turn back, or see the same link
> somewhere else, it should have a different colour than the non-visited
> links.

done! :)

Thanks
Saqib Ali
-------------
http://validate.sf.net <---- (X)HTML / DocBook Validator and Transformer
From: Saqib Ali ####@####.####
Date: 24 Mar 2004 16:02:08 -0000

ok, so we all agree that we need a good CSS for the Linux documentation
project. Now what do we do?

Should I go ahead post job on the sourceforge.net for some CSS guru to
volunteer for this task?

Let me know.

Thanks.
Saqib Ali
-------------
http://validate.sf.net <---- (X)HTML / DocBook XML Validator and Transformer

From: Saqib Ali ####@####.####
Date: 27 Mar 2004 23:04:44 -0000

Hello All,

I ran into this CSS for DocBook content
http://www.jesuislibre.org/common_dbk/docbook.css

I uses pretty good colors, including Emma's favorite
color i.e. Orange ;)

Here are some sample HTML documents using the CSS
http://www.jesuislibre.org/docbook/HP_nx9010/HP_nx9010.html
http://www.jesuislibre.org/docbook/xml/xml.html
http://www.jesuislibre.org/docbook/fusion_nagios/fusion_nagios.html
http://www.jesuislibre.org/docbook/gpg/gpg_dbk.html

Let me know what you think. I can contact the author
for permission to use.

Thanks.
Saqib Ali
http://validate.sf.net