docbook: Thread: problems with and tags

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: problems with and tags
From: Howard Shane ####@####.####
Date: 11 Jan 2004 22:01:23 -0000

Hi,

I'm having trouble with errors with the above tags using docbook2html to check
my sourcefile. the following is my usage:

 	<para>
        <itemizedlist>
                <listitem>
                        example listitem
                </listitem>
	</itemizedlist>
	</para>

...and I get the following complaint:

jade:/home/jhs/doc/sgml-xml/processed/webcam(ModifiedDC)_2.sgml:681:3:E:
character data is not allowed here
jade:/home/jhs/doc/sgml-xml/processed/webcam(ModifiedDC)_2.sgml:682:12:E: end
tag for "LISTITEM" which is not finished

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
hs

Subject: Re: problems with and tags
From: Ari Makela ####@####.####
Date: 11 Jan 2004 22:08:20 -0000

On ma, 2004-01-12 at 00:01, Howard Shane wrote:
>  the following is my usage:
>
>  	<para>
>         <itemizedlist>
>                 <listitem>
>                         example listitem
>                 </listitem>
> 	</itemizedlist>
> 	</para>

> What am I doing wrong?

Plain text is not allowed as a child of listitem. This works:

<para>
<itemizedlist>
<listitem>
<para>
example listitem
</para>
</itemizedlist>
</para>

I no longer have lists in Finnish HOWTO but I'm quite sure this works.

--
Ari Makela                                            no escaping it -
####@####.####                           I must step on fallen leaves

From: Howard Shane ####@####.####
Date: 12 Jan 2004 01:41:42 -0000

On Sunday 11 January 2004 03:45 pm, Ari Makela wrote:
> Plain text is not allowed as a child of listitem. This works:
>
> <para>
> <itemizedlist>
> <listitem>
> <para>
> example listitem
> </para>
> </itemizedlist>
> </para>
>
> I no longer have lists in Finnish HOWTO but I'm quite sure this works.

Yes, it does work, thanks. Only the list comes out with spaces between each
entry, which is less aesthetically pleasing (at least to my eye). Is there a
different tag I can use instead of <itemizedlist> for better formatting?

Thanks!
hs

From: "John R. Daily" ####@####.####
Date: 12 Jan 2004 04:36:51 -0000

At (time_t)76157580; Howard Shane wrote:

> Yes, it does work, thanks. Only the list comes out with spaces between each
> entry, which is less aesthetically pleasing (at least to my eye). Is there a
> different tag I can use instead of <itemizedlist> for better formatting?

This is a style problem, not a tag issue, but try:
   <itemizedlist spacing="compact">

--
John R. Daily