docbook: Thread: warning.gif?

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: warning.gif?
From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" ####@####.####
Date: 9 Dec 2003 06:09:29 -0000

I've used the <warning> tag in a document, and the HTML resulting from the
LDP stylesheet is now looking for a "warning.gif" file. Two questions:

         1. I thought GIF files were deprecated due to patent issues?

         2. As long as the darn thing wants the warning.gif file, where can
I get it (and other related graphics like arrows)?

Thanks!

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
####@####.####

Subject: Re: warning.gif?
From: Dennis Grace ####@####.####
Date: 9 Dec 2003 17:00:00 -0000

The warning.gif file and all the other admonition graphics are located in
the images file along with .png versions of the files.

I dont' know why the LDP has set the admon.graphics.extension to "'.gif'"
The default setting is .png. To change this, in your own customization
layer, specify

<xsl:param name="admon.graphics.extension" select="'.png'"/>

Patent issues arise with GIF files only when they've been produced
illegally. If the DocBook gurus used a licensed software to produce the
admonition graphics, they should cause no legal problems. Some Open Source
developers, however, object to the use of GIFs because of the patent
arguments.

Dennis Grace

Information Developer
IBM Linux Technology Center
(512) 838-3937  T/L 678-3937  cell: (512)-296-7830
####@####.####

User: n. The word computer professionals use when they mean "idiot."
           --Dave Barry

                      "Rodolfo J. Paiz"
                      <rpaiz@simpaticus        To:       ####@####.####
                      .com>                    cc:
                      12/09/2003 12:08
                      AM

______________________
http://lists.tldp.org/

From: "David Horton" ####@####.####
Date: 9 Dec 2003 18:55:35 -0000

Dennis Grace wrote:

> The warning.gif file and all the other admonition graphics are
located in
> the images file along with .png versions of the files.
>
> I dont' know why the LDP has set the admon.graphics.extension
to "'.gif'"
> The default setting is .png.
[snip]

Good question.  I will make a note to change this in the TLDP-XSL
stylesheet customizations.  It would probably be a good idea to change
the dsssl custom stylesheet as well although I am not sure who is
maintaining it.

Dave