docbook: Thread: Correct configuration for creating LDP acceptable documents

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Correct configuration for creating LDP acceptable documents
From: Alasdair Hatfield ####@####.####
Date: 18 Jul 2003 08:54:04 -0000

Hi

New to the arena so please excuse noddy questions.

I've ploughed through the authors guide and resources and further how-to's
but am still unclear on a couple of things. Probably because I have read too
much too fast.

Am I right in thinking that to best move towards 'LDP compliant
documentation' we should be using the XML DTD 4.2 ?
It appears that xml is to be the way forward but it is not absolutely clear.

There are a selection of templates from the authors resources but only sgml
versions for LDP. The xml version is a generice how-to, not ldp specific.
Which Template is preferred if starting from scratch? ( Or versions given
that there may be a choice between small how-to's and big ones.)

Finally, it all goes red!
If I render from a generic (not ldp) sgml or xml template to html (or to any
other format) all is well and the text is black. If I render from an ldp
template (eg one calling the linuxdoc dsssl) then all the text is red.
Can anyone give me a pointer as to where I might have gone wrong? If more
information is needed, please let me know what. I'm happy to provide it but
don't want to drown the mailling list with unwanted gumph.

A thankful newbie
Alasdair
From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 18 Jul 2003 14:21:56 -0000

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 10:56:10AM +0200, Alasdair Hatfield wrote:
> Am I right in thinking that to best move towards 'LDP compliant
> documentation' we should be using the XML DTD 4.2 ?

Yes. :)

> There are a selection of templates from the authors resources but only sgml
> versions for LDP. The xml version is a generice how-to, not ldp specific.
> Which Template is preferred if starting from scratch? ( Or versions given
> that there may be a choice between small how-to's and big ones.)

I'm not sure if this is the one that you think is generic, but this is the
XML template:
http://tldp.org/authors/template/Sample-HOWTO.xml

> other format) all is well and the text is black. If I render from an ldp
> template (eg one calling the linuxdoc dsssl) then all the text is red.

That one I can't help you with. :(

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]
From: Greg Ferguson ####@####.####
Date: 18 Jul 2003 14:38:28 -0000

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:21:55 -0400 Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.#### wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 10:56:10AM +0200, Alasdair Hatfield wrote:
> > Am I right in thinking that to best move towards 'LDP compliant
> > documentation' we should be using the XML DTD 4.2 ?
>
> Yes. :)

We're encouraging XML, yes. It's not however a requirement.
The LDP supports:

Linuxdoc SGML; DocBook SGML v4.2, v4.1 or v3.x; and DocBook XML v4.2 or
v4.1.2

> > There are a selection of templates from the authors resources
> I'm not sure if this is the one that you think is generic, but this is
> the XML template:
> http://tldp.org/authors/template/Sample-HOWTO.xml

that's the correct LDP template.

> > other format) all is well and the text is black. If I render from
> > an ldp template (eg one calling the linuxdoc dsssl) then all the text is red.

Might be that it doesn't recognize/find the dtd.