docbook: Thread: xml / xsl to pdf or ps or tex

[<<] [<] Page 2 of 2 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: xml / xsl to pdf or ps or tex
From: "Dennis Grace" ####@####.####
Date: 23 Jul 2003 15:50:55 -0000

Oops! Other way around. My bad:

<xsl:param name="fop.extensions" select="1"/>

The default setting is zero, which generates a bunch of Java errors.

Sorry 'bout that.

Dennis Grace

Information Developer
IBM Linux Technology Center
(512) 838-3937  T/L 678-3937  cell: (512)-296-7830
####@####.####

"In a democracy, dissent is an act of faith."
           J William Fulbright

                      "David Horton"
                      <dhorton@megsinet        To:       Dennis Grace/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
                      .net>                    cc:       ####@####.####
                      07/23/2003 10:42
                      AM

> If you use FOP, be sure your customization layer includes
>
>   <xsl:param name="fop.extensions" select="0"/>
>
> For guidance on getting FOP up and running, see Bob Stayton's DocBook XSL
> reference: http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/
>
> Dennis Grace

All I could find about "fop.extensions" in the DocBook XSL reference is
that it has something to do with PDF bookmarks.  Why is it necessary to
turn this off?  Is it broken?  Just curious.

Dave

From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 23 Jul 2003 19:34:44 -0000

You might want to try HTMLDOC for the job.  You can find it at
www.easysw.com/htmldoc/.

I've tried it over here, and PDF comes out pretty good!

Greg Ferguson pointed me in the right direction, and I've had fewer
troubles since using it.

Tab

--
Tabatha Marshall
Web: www.merlinmonroe.com

From: David Horton ####@####.####
Date: 23 Jul 2003 21:32:44 -0000

Alasdair Hatfield wrote:
> Hi
>
> Does anyone have experience of getting good quality results going from xml to
> printable formats?

I have one more suggestion and that is XML with CSS in Mozilla.  This is
a little of the wall, but if all you want to do is display or print it
works well.

I have been working on a CSS stylesheet that will style raw XML in a
manner similar to the DocBook XSL stylesheets using Mozilla.  All it
takes is a line like this in the XML file:

<?xml-stylesheet href="MozBook.css" type="text/css"?>

It has some limitations, like the links are not clickable (that would
require some JavaScript DOM manipulation) and there is no auto-numbering
of chapters, sections, etc. due to limited support for CSS2 counters in
Mozilla.

Still, MozBook gives a nice WYSIWYG sort of preview of your work in the
browser without having to run it through a processor every time.  It
also requires little in the way of tools.  I think it will also be a
nice transition tool for HTML gurus to get familiar with XML.

Check out the stylesheet at
http://my.core.com/~dhorton/docbook/mozbook/.  There is also a
sample.xml file there that will give you an idea of what a document will
look like when styled.

Dave