docbook: Thread: only two errors

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: only two errors
From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 17 Jun 2003 21:33:24 -0000

I've managed to finish the HTML->SGML translation. I have one error
(occuring twice) and still need to make the generic way into an appendix,
and add a few internal links.

The error I'm getting is:

####@####.#### onsgmls -s acpi.sgml
onsgmls:acpi.sgml:476:27:E: value of attribute "class" cannot be
"extension"; must be one of "headerfile", "devicefile", "libraryfile",
"directory", "symlink"

According to http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/filename.html I can use
the attribute "extension". My DOCTYPE shows that I'm using DocBook v4.1.2.
Is this onsglms' error, or mine?

The context of the line is this:
 <filename class="extension">.o</filename>

I also had to remove my email from the <author> section. I couldn't figure
out how to get it to validate. (And I couldn't find a reference in the
DocBook site that gave me an appropriate model...) The example I used was:
http://cvsview.tldp.org/index.cgi/*checkout*/LDP/howto/docbook/RedHat-CD-HOWTO/RedHat-CD-HOWTO.sgml?rev=1.4&content-type=text/plain
Which means that either the example is wrong, my validator doesn't know
how to parse v4.1.2 or something has changed from v4.1 (example's version)
to v.4.1.2 (my version).

As always the update .sgml file is available at:
http://xtrinsic.com/geek/articles/drafts/acpi.sgml

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]
From: Bob Stayton ####@####.####
Date: 17 Jun 2003 21:48:53 -0000

Both of these errors are because you are trying to
use new DocBook v4.2 features with the 4.1.2 DTD.
The online version of The Definitive Guide is
for v4.2.  I don't know of an online version
that is for 4.1.2.

                                            email: ####@####.####

From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 18 Jun 2003 02:32:30 -0000

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 03:00:54PM -0700, Bob Stayton wrote:
> Both of these errors are because you are trying to
> use new DocBook v4.2 features with the 4.1.2 DTD.
> The online version of The Definitive Guide is
> for v4.2.  I don't know of an online version
> that is for 4.1.2.

Ah. That makes sense. The online guide is quite misleading to someone who
doesn't know all the different versions. It would be nice if the "type"
column in http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/filename.html had the little
v4.2 image that's used on the summary page for elements. Oh well, it's
easy enough to fix by changing the DOCTYPE. :)

My HOWTO now validates! Thanks everyone!

emma