docbook: Thread: Forcing page breaks etc

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Forcing page breaks etc
From: Tabatha Persad ####@####.####
Date: 29 Jan 2003 23:00:31 -0000

Hi all,

Someone I know who is fairly new to DocBook XML wanted to know something
I couldn't answer, so I thought I'd try here!

He wants to force page breaks when converting XML to RTF.  From what I
can tell, normally the page breaks are determined based on chapters and
sections.  He simply wants to break the page at the section level when
converting to RTF.  He advised it works fine converting to HTML of
course, but when converting to RTF (print) the sections in each chapter
are listed down the page in full, instead of page by page like the HTML
output.

He was also interested in finding out if there was any way to re-center
titles during conversion.  Again, I believe that's being affected by
something applied during the conversion process, but not sure how to
help.

There are other things too.  He wants to be able to make titles bold,
which I believe would mean editing his stylesheet, is that correct?  He
really only uses DocBook XML to generate tags around other data pulled
from elsewhere to create the document, so he's used to having regular
text formatting available.  He's not interested in trying to use
emphasis because he feels that bold would be more appropriate.

If anyone has thoughts on the above, I'd appreciate your input!

--
Tabatha Persad
Web: www.merlinmonroe.com

Subject: Re: Forcing page breaks etc
From: Togan Muftuoglu ####@####.####
Date: 30 Jan 2003 05:59:52 -0000

* Tabatha Persad; ####@####.#### on 29 Jan, 2003 wrote:
>He wants to force page breaks when converting XML to RTF.  From what I
>can tell, normally the page breaks are determined based on chapters and
>sections.  He simply wants to break the page at the section level when
>converting to RTF.  He advised it works fine converting to HTML of
>course, but when converting to RTF (print) the sections in each chapter
>are listed down the page in full, instead of page by page like the HTML
>output.

Will result to waste of paper though use of

<?my-pagebreak?> in the document where a page break is needed and in the
XSL stylesheet the following should solve

<xsl:template match="processing-instruction('my-pagebreak')">
  <fo:block break-before='page'/>
</xsl:template>

>He was also interested in finding out if there was any way to re-center
>titles during conversion.  Again, I believe that's being affected by
>something applied during the conversion process, but not sure how to
>help.

How is the conversion done ? Titles of which element ?

>from elsewhere to create the document, so he's used to having regular
>text formatting available.  He's not interested in trying to use
>emphasis because he feels that bold would be more appropriate.

<emphasis role="bold">Some text</emphasis> so use of role is the key
here.

--

Togan Muftuoglu

From: Tabatha Persad ####@####.####
Date: 30 Jan 2003 06:52:59 -0000

On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 21:59, Togan Muftuoglu wrote:

> >He was also interested in finding out if there was any way to re-center
> >titles during conversion.  Again, I believe that's being affected by
> >something applied during the conversion process, but not sure how to
> >help.
>
> How is the conversion done ? Titles of which element ?

Conversion of the XML to RTF or HTML is done using Openjade along with
the docbook dsl and the xml dcl.  As for titles, I mean the titles of
chapters and sections.  The output for titles are usually flushed left,
and he would like in the conversion to RTF to have these titles
re-centered prior to conversion from RTF to PDF.  Let me know if you
need more info!

And thanks very much for the other information, I'll pass that along and
see if it helps.

From: Tabatha Persad ####@####.####
Date: 30 Jan 2003 06:59:18 -0000

On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 21:59, Togan Muftuoglu wrote:
> * Tabatha Persad; ####@####.#### on 29 Jan, 2003 wrote:
> >He wants to force page breaks when converting XML to RTF.  From what I
> >can tell, normally the page breaks are determined based on chapters and
> >sections.  He simply wants to break the page at the section level when
> >converting to RTF.  He advised it works fine converting to HTML of
> >course, but when converting to RTF (print) the sections in each chapter
> >are listed down the page in full, instead of page by page like the HTML
> >output.
>
> Will result to waste of paper though use of
>
> <?my-pagebreak?> in the document where a page break is needed and in the
> XSL stylesheet the following should solve
>
> <xsl:template match="processing-instruction('my-pagebreak')">
>   <fo:block break-before='page'/>
> </xsl:template>

One other question on the above...we're not using xsl (I sent another
email explaining how he's processing the document currently), so in the
case of using a dsl, do you know how the editing of the file would
differ?

Thanks!

From: Togan Muftuoglu ####@####.####
Date: 30 Jan 2003 07:26:33 -0000

* Tabatha Persad; ####@####.#### on 29 Jan, 2003 wrote:
>On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 21:59, Togan Muftuoglu wrote:
>
>> >He was also interested in finding out if there was any way to re-center
>> >titles during conversion.  Again, I believe that's being affected by
>> >something applied during the conversion process, but not sure how to
>> >help.
>>
>> How is the conversion done ? Titles of which element ?
>
>Conversion of the XML to RTF or HTML is done using Openjade along with
>the docbook dsl and the xml dcl.  As for titles, I mean the titles of
>chapters and sections.  The output for titles are usually flushed left,
>and he would like in the conversion to RTF to have these titles
>re-centered prior to conversion from RTF to PDF.  Let me know if you
>need more info!

I think the following should do it. On the other hand I find FOP to
produce PDF a better approach and lets me to use XSL

;;======================================
;;Quadding
;;======================================

;;What quadding do you want by default; start, center, justify, or end?
;;start
(define %default-quadding%
 'justify)

;;What quadding for component titles(Chapter, Appendix, etc)? start
(define %component-title-quadding%
 'center)

;;What quadding for section titles?
(define %section-title-quadding%
 'center)

;;What quadding for section sub-titles?
(define %section-subtitle-quadding%
 'center)

;;What quadding for article title? start
(define %article-title-quadding%
 'center)

;;What quadding for division subtitles?
(define %division-subtitle-quadding%
  'center)

;;What quadding for component subtitles?
(define %component-subtitle-quadding%
  'center)

;;What quadding for article sub-titles?
(define %article-subtitle-quadding%
 'center)

--

Togan Muftuoglu

From: Togan Muftuoglu ####@####.####
Date: 30 Jan 2003 07:34:40 -0000

* Tabatha Persad; ####@####.#### on 29 Jan, 2003 wrote:

>> <?my-pagebreak?> in the document where a page break is needed and in the
>> XSL stylesheet the following should solve
>>
>> <xsl:template match="processing-instruction('my-pagebreak')">
>>   <fo:block break-before='page'/>
>> </xsl:template>
>
>One other question on the above...we're not using xsl (I sent another
>email explaining how he's processing the document currently), so in the
>case of using a dsl, do you know how the editing of the file would
>differ?

Sorry I have no idea

--

Togan Muftuoglu

From: Tabatha Persad ####@####.####
Date: 30 Jan 2003 09:22:37 -0000

That's okay.  Thanks though for all of your help - I've passed that on,
and we'll see what we can do to make it work like he wants it to.

Have a great day,
Tabatha