docbook: Thread: Screen colour

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Screen colour
From: "Jacob C" ####@####.####
Date: 15 Jan 2003 23:48:05 -0000

Is there any way to change the background color for <screen>? Also, I've seen a lot of people discuss the CSS file that is supposedly created during conversion (xsltproc only?). When I convert using openjade no CSS file is produced - am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,
Jacob
Subject: Re: Screen colour
From: "Dennis Grace" ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jan 2003 15:42:27 -0000

HI Jacob,

I don't know what CSS file you're talking about, unless you've seen someone
discussing the use of DocBook Slides or DocBook Website, which both use
CSS2 adjuncts.

As for changing the <screen> background colors, I have a method.

Instead of setting the shade.verbatim property (I don't care for the
default that it produces, anyway), add the following to your customization
layer. Note, that I have my verbatim shading set to #E0E0E0 and a width of
90%, but you can insert any color and width that you like. Note also, that
my customization for the <programlisting>, <screen>, and <synopsis> tags,
but you can change the template match to "screen" only, if you want to
differentiate. To use this customization, you'll need the shade.verbatim
property in your html/param.xsl file set to "0".

<xsl:template match="programlisting|screen|synopsis">
   <xsl:param name="suppress-numbers" select="'0'"/>
   <xsl:variable name="vendor" select="system-property('xsl:vendor')"/>
   <xsl:variable name="id"><xsl:call-template
  name="object.id"/></xsl:variable>

   <xsl:if test="@id">
   </xsl:if>

   <xsl:choose>
     <xsl:when test="$suppress-numbers = '0'
                     and @linenumbering = 'numbered'
                     and $use.extensions != '0'
                     and $linenumbering.extension != '0'">
       <xsl:variable name="rtf">
         <xsl:apply-templates/>
       </xsl:variable>
       <pre class="{name(.)}">
         <xsl:call-template name="number.rtf.lines">
           <xsl:with-param name="rtf" select="$rtf"/>
         </xsl:call-template>
       </pre>
     </xsl:when>
     <xsl:otherwise>
       <pre class="{name(.)}">
         <xsl:apply-templates/>
       </pre>
     </xsl:otherwise>
   </xsl:choose>
 </xsl:template>

 Dennis Grace

 Information Developer
 IBM Linux Technology Center
 (512) 838-3937  T/L 678-3937  cell: (512)-296-7830
 ####@####.####

 There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand
 binary and those who don't.

                      "Jacob C"
                      <jacob@keystreams        To:       ####@####.####
                      .com>                    cc:
                      01/15/2003 05:47
                      PM

From: "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jan 2003 15:54:02 -0000

> Is there any way to change the background color for <screen>?

If you're using DSSSL, ldp.dsl for example, it's done here:

  (define (shade-verbatim-element-colors element)
    (case element
      (("SYNOPSIS") (list "#000000" "#6495ED"))
      ;; ...
      ;; Add your verbatim elements here
      ;; ...
      (else (list "#000000" "#E0E0E0"))))

--
Greg Ferguson    * SGI principal engr / LDP contributor
SGI Tech Pubs    * http://techpubs.sgi.com/ | gferg(at)sgi.com
From: "Jacob C" ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jan 2003 19:16:42 -0000

Thanks for the help everybody but I ended up doing something different.
Since I couldn't seem to ever get ldp.dsl working I started using
docbook.dsl (which works) - I don't fully understand the docbook system yet
but I changed/added the following to dbparam.dsl and I have grey coloured
backgrounds now :-)

(element tgroup
  (let* ((wrapper   (parent (current-node)))
	 (frameattr (attribute-string (normalize "frame") wrapper))
	 (pgwide    (attribute-string (normalize "pgwide") wrapper))
	 (footnotes (select-elements (descendants (current-node))
				     (normalize "footnote")))
	 (border (if (equal? frameattr (normalize "none"))
		     '(("BORDER" "0"))
		     '(("BORDER" "1"))))
	 (bgcolor '(("BGCOLOR" "#E0E0E0")))
	 (width (if (equal? pgwide "1")
		    (list (list "WIDTH" ($table-width$)))
		    '()))
	 (head (select-elements (children (current-node)) (normalize "thead")))
	 (body (select-elements (children (current-node)) (normalize "tbody")))
	 (feet (select-elements (children (current-node)) (normalize "tfoot"))))
    (make element gi: "TABLE"
	  attributes: (append
		       border
		       width
		       bgcolor
		       '(("CELLSPACING" "0"))
		       '(("CELLPADDING" "4"))
		       (if %cals-table-class%
			   (list (list "CLASS" %cals-table-class%))
			   '()))
	  (process-node-list head)
	  (process-node-list body)
	  (process-node-list feet)
	  (make-table-endnotes))))

;;Should verbatim items be 'shaded' with a table?
(define %shade-verbatim%
 #t)

;;Define shade-verbatim attributes
(define ($shade-verbatim-attr$)
 (list
  (list "BORDER" "0")
  (list "BGCOLOR" "#E0E0E0")
  (list "WIDTH" ($table-width$))))

From: "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jan 2003 19:30:11 -0000

On Jan 16, 12:16pm, Jacob C wrote:
> Subject: Re: Screen colour
> Thanks for the help everybody but I ended up doing something different.
> Since I couldn't seem to ever get ldp.dsl working I started using
> docbook.dsl (which works)

Why would ldp.dsl not work for you?

1. install/copy/symlink ldp.dsl into <path_to_db_dsssl>/html/

2. openjade -t sgml -i html -d <path_to_db_dsssl>/html/ldp.dsl#html ...

> - I don't fully understand the docbook system yet
> but I changed/added the following to dbparam.dsl and I have grey
coloured
> backgrounds now :-)

I advise against changing the base DocBook styles. Create
your own derivative dsssl ss which overrides the default behavior.
It's much easier to maintain and make changes, plus you can update
the base DocBook styles and not have to worry about (re-)integrating
your changes.

Examine ldp.dsl for the full set of style changes the ldp uses:

  http://www.tldp.org/authors/tools/ldp.dsl

fwiw,

From: "Jacob C" ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jan 2003 22:21:49 -0000

Using ldp.dsl produces an array of errors that I spent an entire day trying
to resolve but never could. Among them are (which I already posted to this
list):

openjade:/usr/local/dbtools/docbook-dsssl/html/ldp.dsl:20:0:E: character
data is not allowed here
openjade:/usr/local/dbtools/docbook-dsssl/html/ldp.dsl:359:18:E: reference
to undefined variable "$table-width$"
openjade:/usr/local/dbtools/docbook-dsssl/html/ldp.dsl:324:28:E: reference
to undefined variable "$verbatim-line-by-line$"

And:

1st argument for primitive "string=?" of wrong type: "#f" not a string

At this point I just need something that works 'well enough' as I am
unfortunately under a surprise deadline to get these docs finished.

Hopefully, when I meet this deadline I can go back and try and resolve the
problems I was having with ldp.dsl.

From: "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jan 2003 22:30:24 -0000

On Jan 16,  3:21pm, Jacob C wrote:
> Subject: Re: Screen colour
> Using ldp.dsl produces an array of errors that I spent an entire day
trying
> to resolve but never could. Among them are (which I already posted to
this
> list):
>
> openjade:/usr/local/dbtools/docbook-dsssl/html/ldp.dsl:20:0:E: character
> data is not allowed here
> openjade:/usr/local/dbtools/docbook-dsssl/html/ldp.dsl:359:18:E:
reference
> to undefined variable "$table-width$"
> openjade:/usr/local/dbtools/docbook-dsssl/html/ldp.dsl:324:28:E:
reference
> to undefined variable "$verbatim-line-by-line$"

If you want me to look into this closer, send me:

- your {open}jade command line
- the contents of /usr/local/dbtools/docbook-dsssl/VERSION
- your SGML_CATALOG_FILES env variable (if set)
- (and if possible) your XML or SGML source file(s)

From: "Jacob C" ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jan 2003 22:47:24 -0000

SGML_CATALOG_FILES path:
-----------------------------------
[root@crypt-600 /media/Code/thankugift/docs/system_docs]# echo
$SGML_CATALOG_FILES
/etc/sgml/catalog

Contents of catalog file (SGML_CATALOG_FILES=/etc/sgml/catalog):
CATALOG /etc/sgml/sgml-docbook-*.cat
CATALOG /etc/sgml/sgml-docbook-3.1.cat
CATALOG /etc/sgml/xml-docbook-4.1.2.cat
CATALOG /etc/sgml/dsssl-1.3.cat
CATALOG /etc/sgml/sgml-docbook-4.1.cat
SYSTEM "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd"
"/media/Code/thankugift/docs/system_docs/docbookx.dtd"

OpenJade command sent:
--------------------------
openjade -t xml -d /usr/local/dbtools/docbook-dsssl/html/ldp.dsl#html
/usr/share/sgml/xml.dcl
/media/Code/thankugift/docs/system_docs/docbook-current.xml

Contents of VERSION:
------------------------
[root@crypt-600 /media/Code/thankugift/docs/system_docs]# cat
/usr/local/dbtools/docbook-dsssl/VERSION
1.77

I can't send the XML file due to contractual stipulations but here is my DTD
declaration:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.2//EN"
"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd" [
<!ENTITY version "v.1.2.4">
]>

I have also tried 4.1.2.