docbook: Thread: Openjade: dtd's via http

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Openjade: dtd's via http
From: "Jim Weller" ####@####.####
Date: 14 Nov 2002 10:15:22 -0000

I just found out to compile openjade with --enable-http so you can fetch
files via http. Nice feature. Makes it so you don't have to have a
SYSTEM mapping http dtds to local dtds. But I'm finding some weird
issues.

I was getting "could not get '/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd'" errors. I used gdb
to determine docbook.org is returning 404 for a valid request for the
dtd from openjade. It also returns 404 using a hand crafted GET request
on port 80. The same URL works for browsers, and wget. I'm thinking
there is some User-agent: parsing security on docbook.org. Can anyone
help me confirm this? The oasis-open.or url worked in all cases
(openjade, browser, telnet 80).

BROKEN
<!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.2//EN"
                         "http://docbook.org/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd"
[...]>

WORKS
<!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.2//EN"

"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd" [...]>

It's rough because the broken one is what is referenced in the templates
on the authors page.

URLs in openjade!That quick start guide just got a lot quicker. BTW I'm
freezing the xml quick start after this update to be replaced by an
xsltproc one. Thanks (Greg & Dan) for the the chunky xsl. I had to
change the paths in them to suit my needs, but zowee! They are swift.

Is it possible to have the paths in the ldp xsl style sheets be
relative? Or a variable? Then one could just drop them in the docbook
xsl distro (which is what I did anyway). If you download those and your
docbook xsl is not in /usr/share/blah/blah then the first compile of a
docbook breaks until you edit those paths.

Jim

Subject: Re: Openjade: dtd's via http
From: Togan Muftuoglu ####@####.####
Date: 14 Nov 2002 11:18:44 -0000

* Jim Weller; ####@####.#### on 14 Nov, 2002 wrote:
>I just found out to compile openjade with --enable-http so you can fetch
>files via http. Nice feature. Makes it so you don't have to have a
>SYSTEM mapping http dtds to local dtds. But I'm finding some weird
>issues.

Well to be honest the world is going another direction as far as I see
Use of Catalogs and Resolvers so no need to fetch dtd from the net. It
alos works with the XSL stylesheets and yes opnjade works with catalogs
also

http://www.sagehill.net/xml/docbookxsl/Catalogs.html

--

Togan Muftuoglu

From: "Jim Weller" ####@####.####
Date: 14 Nov 2002 16:35:15 -0000

You have to fetch dtd/xsl/dsssl from the net one way or another right;
whether you download it or the compiler fetches it? Discounting writing
your own custom dsssl/xsl.

Your ref to XML catalogs is interesting. I'll read up. Thanks.

It would be interesting to see a compiler compiler. Something that
combines a docbook processor, dtd, and stylesheet into a binary or jar
file. It would be inflexible in that it would be tailored to one dtd and
style sheet (or bloated with lots of them), but it would be an all in
one easy to get and install bundle.

I'd also haven't seen a CGI based processing environ.

Jim

http://lists.tldp.org/