docbook: Thread: Having troubles converting to html

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Having troubles converting to html
From: "Gabriel Sechan" ####@####.####
Date: 5 Oct 2002 09:03:29 -0000

I'm trying to set up my environment to use docbook, and I'm having trouble.
If someone here can help me, I'd be greatful.

I have openjade installed, and it seems to be working.  I downloaded
bocbk41.zip and unzipped it to /usr/lib/sgml.  I then ran the command:

openjade -t html file.sgml

I ended up with a screen full of error.  file.sgml is the big sgml example
from the resources page.  Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Gabe

Subject: Re: Having troubles converting to html
From: "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####
Date: 5 Oct 2002 12:11:03 -0000

On Oct 5,  4:03am, Gabriel Sechan wrote:
> Subject: Having troubles converting to html
> I'm trying to set up my environment to use docbook, and I'm having
trouble.
> If someone here can help me, I'd be greatful.
>
> I have openjade installed, and it seems to be working.  I downloaded
> bocbk41.zip and unzipped it to /usr/lib/sgml.  I then ran the command:
>
> openjade -t html file.sgml
>
> I ended up with a screen full of error.  file.sgml is the big sgml
> example from the resources page.

Which one?

> Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Might be specifying a DTD other than 4.1... Make sure the first few
lines of your SGML source file look like this (minus any possible
entity declarations you might have):

  <!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V4.1//EN">
  <article>

or this:

  <!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V4.1//EN">
  <book>

(and you properly close up the file with "</article>" or "</book>")

--
Greg Ferguson    * SGI principal engr / LDP contributor
SGI Tech Pubs    * http://techpubs.sgi.com/ | gferg(at)sgi.com
From: Rachel Collins ####@####.####
Date: 5 Oct 2002 13:39:57 -0000

On Sat, 05 Oct 2002 04:03:01 -0500
"Gabriel Sechan" ####@####.#### wrote:

> I'm trying to set up my environment to use docbook, and I'm
> having trouble.  If someone here can help me, I'd be greatful.
>
> I have openjade installed, and it seems to be working.  I
> downloaded bocbk41.zip and unzipped it to /usr/lib/sgml.  I
> then ran the command:
>
> openjade -t html file.sgml
>
> I ended up with a screen full of error.  file.sgml is the big
> sgml example from the resources page.  Can someone tell me what
> I'm doing wrong?

I'm no expert, but the command that works for me is a bit more
complicated than the one you have listed here:

jade -t sgml -i html -d
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/stylesheet/dsssl/ldp/ldp.dsl#html
file.sgml

You will have to change the directory listing above to match the
one that contains your files.  You may also have to make
adjustments to make it work with openjade instead of jade.  I
don't know.  As I said, I'm no expert.  Hope this helps, though.

--
Rachel Collins
From: "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####
Date: 5 Oct 2002 20:34:36 -0000

On Oct 5,  8:48am, Rachel Collins wrote:
> Subject: Re: Having troubles converting to html
> On Sat, 05 Oct 2002 04:03:01 -0500
> "Gabriel Sechan" ####@####.#### wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to set up my environment to use docbook, and I'm
> > having trouble.  If someone here can help me, I'd be greatful.
> >
> > I have openjade installed, and it seems to be working.  I
> > downloaded bocbk41.zip and unzipped it to /usr/lib/sgml.  I
> > then ran the command:
> >
> > openjade -t html file.sgml
> >
> > I ended up with a screen full of error.  file.sgml is the big
> > sgml example from the resources page.  Can someone tell me what
> > I'm doing wrong?
>
> I'm no expert, but the command that works for me is a bit more
> complicated than the one you have listed here:
>
> jade -t sgml -i html -d
> /usr/share/sgml/docbook/stylesheet/dsssl/ldp/ldp.dsl#html
> file.sgml
>
> You will have to change the directory listing above to match the
> one that contains your files.  You may also have to make
> adjustments to make it work with openjade instead of jade.  I
> don't know.  As I said, I'm no expert.  Hope this helps, though.

Then the individual also has to download and use the tailored
stylesheet (from us/LDP), which wasn't initially mentioned.  The
"vanilla"  dsssl styles should work. Anyway, try looking
at the DOCTYPE line as I mentioned and also try the extra
command-line options, as Rachel pointed out:

  jade -t sgml -i html file.sgml

--
r,
Ferg