docbook: Thread: Indexing

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Indexing
From: David Chow ####@####.####
Date: 25 Jul 2002 04:30:41 -0000

Is there anyway to generate indexing in docbook? I am new to docbook so
please give me direction to learn and get start. Thanks.

regards,
David

Subject: Re: Indexing
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 25 Jul 2002 07:05:25 -0000

From: "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####
Date: 25 Jul 2002 13:17:29 -0000

On Jul 25, 12:30pm, David Chow wrote:
> Subject: Indexing
> Is there anyway to generate indexing in docbook? I am new to docbook so
> please give me direction to learn and get start. Thanks.
>
> regards,
> David

Always check the LDP Author Guide first...if the topic isn't there, let
us know! ;-)

  4.5. Encoding Indexes
  http://tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/encoding-index.html

--
regards,
Ferg
From: David Chow ####@####.####
Date: 1 Aug 2002 12:22:16 -0000

Greg Ferguson wrote:
> On Jul 25, 12:30pm, David Chow wrote:
>
>>Subject: Indexing
>>Is there anyway to generate indexing in docbook? I am new to docbook so
>>please give me direction to learn and get start. Thanks.
>>
>>regards,
>>David
>

> Always check the LDP Author Guide first...if the topic isn't there, let
> us know! ;-)
>
>   4.5. Encoding Indexes
>   http://tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/encoding-index.html
>
> --
> regards,
> Ferg
>
> ______________________
> http://lists.tldp.org/

I have read the LDP-Author-Guide zillions of times, I still cannot
generate any indexes??

I am confused with sgml and xml. Sometimes the LDP-Author-Guide refer to
  sgml and sometimes xml. The tools and scripts sometimes work with sgml
and sometimes xml? What's going on here? I've learn how to write
LinuxDoc and creating .sgml files, using sgml2html command to generate
html outputs. I am a beginner with docbook xml .

I've downloaded the LDP-Author-Guide xml soruce for testing. I am using
Redhat 7.3, I tried with the stock db2html command which have the
following errors. I browse the generated html, all index information is
missing. No chapter and section numbers. The same thing happen to my own
document. I've no wonder how to make the index look properly.

$ db2html LDP-Author-Guide.xml
output is LDP-Author-Guide
Using catalogs: /etc/sgml/xml-docbook-4.1.2-1.0-8.cat
Using stylesheet:
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/utils-0.6.9/docbook-utils-a4.dsl#html
Working on:
/home/davidtl/projects/aptusdoc/res/LDP-Author-Guide/LDP-Author-Guide.xml
jade:/home/davidtl/projects/aptusdoc/res/LDP-Author-Guide/LDP-Author-Guide.xml:1742:0:E:
cannot find "index.xml"; tried
"/home/davidtl/projects/aptusdoc/res/LDP-Author-Guide/index.xml",
"/usr/share/sgml/index.xml"

David

From: "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####
Date: 1 Aug 2002 13:59:51 -0000

You cannot generate indexes using linuxdoc. There is a limited
amount of information about linuxdoc in the LDP Author Guide.

The overlap between XML and SGML exists because we chose to document
a similar processing path for each - using openjade and dsssl. Note
that there is another path for XML document processing using
xsltproc/libxml2/XSLT, which we do not cover in much detail. When
you look at the DocBook XML DTD and the DocBook SGML DTD, they are
very similar. Transition is extremely easy. That's why the lines
"blur" sometimes in describing the two.

To create indexes:

1. Add <indexterm> references into your SGML file (I'm not going
   into detail, that's covered in the Guide)

2. Add an entity reference in your main SGML file:

     <!DOCTYPE Article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN" [
       <!ENTITY myindex SYSTEM "index.sgml">
       ..
     ]>

3. Include/reference the entity at the end of the file/document (or
   wherever you wish to have the index occur):

       &myindex;

     </article>

3. Now run the the tools to generate the index:

      collateindex.pl -N -o index.sgml
      jade -t sgml -V html-index -d <style> My-HOWTO.sgml
      collateindex.pl -g -t Index -i doc-index -o index.sgml HTML.index

You will now have a index.sgml file which can be used in conjunction
with the "normal" run of the tools (which you use to produce your
HTML files, etc). This should work ok with XML files as well (adjust
your file extensions in the examples shown above!).

For an example, see IBM7248-HOWTO - http://tldp.org/HOWTO/IBM7248-HOWTO/
You can also get the source to examine from our CVS (web) tree.

I don't use db2html or any other scripts (other than what I put together
myself for the LDP), so I don't know if this processing is part of the
scripts.

--
Ferg
From: David Chow ####@####.####
Date: 1 Aug 2002 16:23:32 -0000

Greg Ferguson wrote:

>You cannot generate indexes using linuxdoc. There is a limited
>amount of information about linuxdoc in the LDP Author Guide.
>
>The overlap between XML and SGML exists because we chose to document
>a similar processing path for each - using openjade and dsssl. Note
>that there is another path for XML document processing using
>xsltproc/libxml2/XSLT, which we do not cover in much detail. When
>you look at the DocBook XML DTD and the DocBook SGML DTD, they are
>very similar. Transition is extremely easy. That's why the lines
>"blur" sometimes in describing the two.
>
>To create indexes:
>
>1. Add <indexterm> references into your SGML file (I'm not going
>   into detail, that's covered in the Guide)
>
>2. Add an entity reference in your main SGML file:
>
>     <!DOCTYPE Article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN" [
>       <!ENTITY myindex SYSTEM "index.sgml">
>       ..
>     ]>
>
>3. Include/reference the entity at the end of the file/document (or
>   wherever you wish to have the index occur):
>
>       &myindex;
>
>     </article>
>
>3. Now run the the tools to generate the index:
>
>      collateindex.pl -N -o index.sgml
>      jade -t sgml -V html-index -d <style> My-HOWTO.sgml
>      collateindex.pl -g -t Index -i doc-index -o index.sgml HTML.index
>
>You will now have a index.sgml file which can be used in conjunction
>with the "normal" run of the tools (which you use to produce your
>HTML files, etc). This should work ok with XML files as well (adjust
>your file extensions in the examples shown above!).
>
>For an example, see IBM7248-HOWTO - http://tldp.org/HOWTO/IBM7248-HOWTO/
>You can also get the source to examine from our CVS (web) tree.
>
>I don't use db2html or any other scripts (other than what I put together
>myself for the LDP), so I don't know if this processing is part of the
>scripts.
>
>--
>Ferg
>
>______________________
>http://lists.tldp.org/

Thanks for your reply, but if my document is in xml. Is it the same? I
tried with your commands with xml and doesn't work. Can you please give
advice?

regards,
David

From: "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####
Date: 1 Aug 2002 16:27:23 -0000

On Aug 2, 12:23am, David Chow wrote:
> Subject: Re: Indexing
> Greg Ferguson wrote:
>
> >You cannot generate indexes using linuxdoc. There is a limited
> >amount of information about linuxdoc in the LDP Author Guide.
> >
> >The overlap between XML and SGML exists because we chose to document
> >a similar processing path for each - using openjade and dsssl. Note
> >that there is another path for XML document processing using
> >xsltproc/libxml2/XSLT, which we do not cover in much detail. When
> >you look at the DocBook XML DTD and the DocBook SGML DTD, they are
> >very similar. Transition is extremely easy. That's why the lines
> >"blur" sometimes in describing the two.
> >
> >To create indexes:
> >
> >1. Add <indexterm> references into your SGML file (I'm not going
> >   into detail, that's covered in the Guide)
> >
> >2. Add an entity reference in your main SGML file:
> >
> >     <!DOCTYPE Article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN" [
> >       <!ENTITY myindex SYSTEM "index.sgml">
> >       ..
> >     ]>
> >
> >3. Include/reference the entity at the end of the file/document (or
> >   wherever you wish to have the index occur):
> >
> >       &myindex;
> >
> >     </article>
> >
> >3. Now run the the tools to generate the index:
> >
> >      collateindex.pl -N -o index.sgml
> >      jade -t sgml -V html-index -d <style> My-HOWTO.sgml
> >      collateindex.pl -g -t Index -i doc-index -o index.sgml HTML.index
> >
> >You will now have a index.sgml file which can be used in conjunction
> >with the "normal" run of the tools (which you use to produce your
> >HTML files, etc). This should work ok with XML files as well (adjust
> >your file extensions in the examples shown above!).
> >
> >For an example, see IBM7248-HOWTO -
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/IBM7248-HOWTO/
> >You can also get the source to examine from our CVS (web) tree.
> >
> >I don't use db2html or any other scripts (other than what I put
together
> >myself for the LDP), so I don't know if this processing is part of the
> >scripts.
> >
> >--
> >Ferg
> >
> >______________________
> >http://lists.tldp.org/
> >

> Thanks for your reply, but if my document is in xml. Is it the same? I
> tried with your commands with xml and doesn't work. Can you please give
> advice?

Did you look at this message carefully??!??:

   "This should work ok with XML files as well (adjust
    your file extensions in the examples shown above!)."

2. Add an entity reference in your main SGML file:

   <!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"
     "http://docbook.org/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd" [
      <!ENTITY myindex SYSTEM "index.xml">
       ..
   ]>

3. Include/reference the entity at the end of the file/document (or
   wherever you wish to have the index occur):

       &myindex;

    </article>

4. Now run the the tools to generate the index:

      collateindex.pl -N -o index.xml
      jade -t sgml -V html-index -d <style> My-HOWTO.xml
      collateindex.pl -g -t Index -i doc-index -o index.xml HTML.index
From: David Chow ####@####.####
Date: 1 Aug 2002 16:47:12 -0000

Greg Ferguson wrote:

> [...]
>>advice?
>>

>Did you look at this message carefully??!??:
>
>   "This should work ok with XML files as well (adjust
>    your file extensions in the examples shown above!)."
>

>2. Add an entity reference in your main SGML file:
>
>   <!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"
>     "http://docbook.org/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd" [
>      <!ENTITY myindex SYSTEM "index.xml">
>       ..
>   ]>
>
>3. Include/reference the entity at the end of the file/document (or
>   wherever you wish to have the index occur):
>
>       &myindex;
>
>    </article>
>
>4. Now run the the tools to generate the index:
>
>      collateindex.pl -N -o index.xml
>      jade -t sgml -V html-index -d <style> My-HOWTO.xml
>      collateindex.pl -g -t Index -i doc-index -o index.xml HTML.index

I did look at your message and try it with xml, it failed. It returns
lots of errors when I run the 2 command

$ collateindex.pl -N -o index.xml
$ jade -t sgml -V html-index -d html/ldp.dsl LDP-Author-Guide.xml -o LDP

jade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/xml-dtd-4.1.2/docbookx.dtd:74:17:E: "X20AC"
is not a function name
jade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/xml-dtd-4.1.2/ent/iso-amsa.ent:8:19:E:
"X21B6" is not a function name
jade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/xml-dtd-4.1.2/ent/iso-amsa.ent:9:19:E:
"X21B7" is not a function name
..
..
jade:I: maximum number of errors (200) reached; change with -E option

Lots of errors, don't know what's going on??

I test it with the xml source of the LDP-Author-Guide from the CVS . I
am running Redhat 7.2 with stock docbook tools . I am sorry to ask again
and again, but I've been stuck for weeks here. Thanks for your help anyway.

regards,
David

From: "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####
Date: 1 Aug 2002 16:50:10 -0000

On Aug 2, 12:47am, David Chow wrote:
> Subject: Re: Indexing
> Greg Ferguson wrote:
>
> $ collateindex.pl -N -o index.xml
> $ jade -t sgml -V html-index -d html/ldp.dsl LDP-Author-Guide.xml -o LDP
>
> jade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/xml-dtd-4.1.2/docbookx.dtd:74:17:E: "X20AC"
> is not a function name
> jade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/xml-dtd-4.1.2/ent/iso-amsa.ent:8:19:E:
> "X21B6" is not a function name
> jade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/xml-dtd-4.1.2/ent/iso-amsa.ent:9:19:E:
> "X21B7" is not a function name
> ..
> jade:I: maximum number of errors (200) reached; change with -E option

Those are warnings that can be safely ignored. I'm not sure why
your copy of jade is stopping.

From: Rachel Collins ####@####.####
Date: 5 Aug 2002 13:28:47 -0000

On Fri, 02 Aug 2002 00:47:01 +0800
David Chow ####@####.#### wrote:

<snip>
> I did look at your message and try it with xml, it failed. It returns
> lots of errors when I run the 2 command
>
> $ collateindex.pl -N -o index.xml
> $ jade -t sgml -V html-index -d html/ldp.dsl LDP-Author-Guide.xml -o
> LDP
<snip>

I'm certainly no expert, but I had a hard time with this, too. To get
mine to work, I used the command:

jade -t sgml -i html -d
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/stylesheet/dsssl/ldp/ldp.dsl
/usr/share/sgml/declaration/xml.dcl filename.xml

Note that these are the default Debian directories. Also note the
xml.dcl file, which the Author Guide says has to be listed directly
before the XML file to be converted for XML files to work. I noticed
that your command did not contain that.

I've never run the collate command before, so I'm not sure how that will
affect the jade line above.

--
Rachel Collins