docbook: Thread: Cannot render DB to HTML

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Cannot render DB to HTML
From: Chip Cuccio ####@####.####
Date: 3 Jun 2002 04:50:48 -0000

Greetings.
I am trying to render my SGML source to HTML.
When try and run db2html, this is what I see:

<snip>
jade:/etc/sgml/xml-docbook-4.1.cat:3:8:E: cannot open "/usr/share/sgml/openjade-1.3/catalog" (No such file or directory)
</snip>

I am running Redhat 7.3, full install.

I apologize, but I am completely unfamiliar with DocBook, and need some help :-)

Thanks so much!
Chip Cuccio
chipster _AT_ norlug -DOT- org
Subject: Re: Cannot render DB to HTML
From: Hal Burgiss ####@####.####
Date: 3 Jun 2002 05:38:42 -0000

On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 11:51:23PM -0500, Chip Cuccio wrote:

> <snip>
> jade:/etc/sgml/xml-docbook-4.1.cat:3:8:E: cannot open "/usr/share/sgml/openjade-1.3/catalog" (No such file or directory)
> </snip>
>
> I am running Redhat 7.3, full install.

If you open /etc/sgml/xml-docbook-4.1.cat, you will see a line:

/usr/share/sgml/openjade-1.3/catalog

This file does not exist. Try removing that line. That _should_ work.
Or at least get past this hump.

--
Hal Burgiss

From: Tabatha Persad ####@####.####
Date: 3 Jun 2002 08:10:30 -0000

On Monday 03 June 2002 00:51, Chip Cuccio wrote:
> Greetings.
> I am trying to render my SGML source to HTML.
> When try and run db2html, this is what I see:
> <snip>
> jade:/etc/sgml/xml-docbook-4.1.cat:3:8:E: cannot open
> "/usr/share/sgml/openjade-1.3/catalog" (No such file or directory)
> </snip>

Interestingly, there is jade, and there is openjade.  I have no idea
what the difference is but I always use openjade.  Looks like the
db2html script is using jade... which should be fine, but may help to
know that down the road.

> I am running Redhat 7.3, full install.

I have Mandrake 8.1 and did the full whammy install too, but I
recommend you take a detour and go to the following HOWTO:

http://www.jimweller.net/jim/dbxmlqs/index.html

This guide is what got me finally up and running after several weeks
of frustration.  One thing you must note:  you will be instructed to
download several packages.  Your openjade package is probably fine,
as it is a recent RPM, so I wouldn't bother downloading the tar file
for it.  You will want to follow the rest of the instructions to the
letter, and I guarantee it will work.

The idea is that you will have several different directories with
different catalogs, but you can point your bash profile to use a
specified master catalog that lists those other paths within it.

> I apologize, but I am completely unfamiliar with DocBook, and need
> some help :-)

I may not explain it as well as the guide, but give it a look.  If
you need more help, I'd be happy to answer any more questions, as I
finally got the swing of DocBook, and know how frustrating it can be
to get started!

> Thanks so much!

No problemo!

--
Tabatha Persad
Web: http://www.merlinmonroe.com
From: Alexander Bartolich ####@####.####
Date: 3 Jun 2002 08:25:36 -0000

Tabatha Persad wrote:
> [...] Interestingly, there is jade, and there is openjade.
> I have no idea what the difference is but I always use
> openjade.

I just can't resist the opportunity for karma whoring. ;=)

It's explained on http://openjade.sourceforge.net/
# Jade is James Clark's implementation of DSSSL --
# Document Style Semantics and Specification Language --
# an ISO standard for formatting SGML (and XML) documents.
#
# OpenJade is a project undertaken by the DSSSL community
# to maintain and extend Jade, as well as the related SP
# suite of SGML/XML processing tools. OpenJade and OpenSP
# are distributed under the same license as Jade.

> [...] Looks like the db2html script is using jade...

No. /usr/bin/jade is a symbolic link to /usr/bin/openjade.

http://www.gmx.net

From: Tabatha Persad ####@####.####
Date: 3 Jun 2002 08:45:48 -0000

On Monday 03 June 2002 04:25, Alexander Bartolich wrote:
> Tabatha Persad wrote:
> > [...] Interestingly, there is jade, and there is openjade.
> > I have no idea what the difference is but I always use
> > openjade.
>
> I just can't resist the opportunity for karma whoring. ;=)
>
> It's explained on http://openjade.sourceforge.net/
> # Jade is James Clark's implementation of DSSSL --
> # Document Style Semantics and Specification Language --
> # an ISO standard for formatting SGML (and XML) documents.
> #
> # OpenJade is a project undertaken by the DSSSL community
> # to maintain and extend Jade, as well as the related SP
> # suite of SGML/XML processing tools. OpenJade and OpenSP
> # are distributed under the same license as Jade.
>
> > [...] Looks like the db2html script is using jade...
>
> No. /usr/bin/jade is a symbolic link to /usr/bin/openjade.

Very cool, thanks for explaining this to me!  Like I mentioned, I had
gotten so wrapped (or warped) up in getting the tools set up that it
got pretty confusing there for a while!

Now that I can sit back and write Docbook XML maybe I should go back
to some basics and take you up on those links!

Thanks!
Tabatha
From: Chip Cuccio ####@####.####
Date: 3 Jun 2002 12:29:48 -0000

Thank you so much, both Hal and Tabatha!

Hal, you were almost right on the money...the file existed, but it was under "openjade-1.3.1/",
so I created a symlink (dont know what apps are looking for 1.3.1).  Your advice enabled to find that problem.  Thanks!

Tabatha, I cannot thank you enough for that link you sent me.  Also, It seemed you could read my frustration and eagerness to get going with this DB stuff.  I have been struggling for over a week!  Hopefully tonight, I will successfully render my sample DB to various formats :-)

Thank you all so much!
-----------------------------
Chip Cuccio
VP - NORLUG
####@####.####
PGP Key: http://www.norlug.org/~chipster/public_key
From: Alexander Bartolich ####@####.####
Date: 3 Jun 2002 20:28:26 -0000

Hal Burgiss wrote:
> Chip Cuccio wrote:
> > [...] I am running Redhat 7.3, full install.
>
> If you open /etc/sgml/xml-docbook-4.1.cat, you will see a line:

Funny. I don't have that file. Instead I see

# xml-docbook.cat -> xml-docbook-4.1.2-1.0-8.cat

> /usr/share/sgml/openjade-1.3/catalog

And this line really is

# CATALOG "/usr/share/sgml/openjade-1.3.1/catalog"

And that file exists.

$ rpm -qf /etc/sgml/xml-docbook.cat
docbook-dtds-1.0-8

$ rpm -qf /usr/share/sgml/openjade-1.3.1/catalog
openjade-1.3.1-4

From: Hal Burgiss ####@####.####
Date: 3 Jun 2002 21:51:43 -0000

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 10:24:49PM +0200, Alexander Bartolich wrote:
> Hal Burgiss wrote:
> > Chip Cuccio wrote:
> > > [...] I am running Redhat 7.3, full install.
> >
> > If you open /etc/sgml/xml-docbook-4.1.cat, you will see a line:
>
> Funny. I don't have that file. Instead I see

But are you saying you are running stock RH7.3 packages? I am, I ran
into this exact problem with first doc build after upgrading.
*Identical*.

7.3 (upgraded):

[hal@cadillac hal]$ ll /etc/sgml/xml-docbook-4.1.cat
-rw-r--r--   1 root  root    272 May 30 15:09 /etc/sgml/xml-docbook-4.1.cat

[hal@cadillac hal]$ rpm -qf /etc/sgml/xml-docbook-4.1.cat
file /etc/sgml/xml-docbook-4.1.cat is not owned by any package

Hmmm...maybe this is 7.2 leftover stuff??? Maybe...
This is 7.2:

[hal@feenix hal]$ ll /etc/sgml/xml-docbook-4.1.cat
-rw-r--r--   1 root  root     220 Oct 27  2001 /etc/sgml/xml-docbook-4.1.cat

[hal@feenix hal]$ rpm -qf /etc/sgml/xml-docbook-4.1.cat
file /etc/sgml/xml-docbook-4.1.cat is not owned by any package

[hal@feenix hal]$ grep openj /etc/sgml/xml-docbook-4.1.cat
CATALOG /usr/share/sgml/openjade-1.3/catalog

[hal@feenix hal]$  rpm -qf /usr/share/sgml/openjade-1.3/catalog
openjade-1.3-17

> # xml-docbook.cat -> xml-docbook-4.1.2-1.0-8.cat

Yes, I have that too.

> > /usr/share/sgml/openjade-1.3/catalog
>
> And this line really is
>
> # CATALOG "/usr/share/sgml/openjade-1.3.1/catalog"

No, I had /usr/share/sgml/openjade-1.3/catalog. Maybe I had both.
Can't remember, I've changed them now due to this very same problem.
It choked on /usr/share/sgml/openjade-1.3/catalog, which is not (now)
on my system.

> And that file exists.
>
> $ rpm -qf /etc/sgml/xml-docbook.cat
> docbook-dtds-1.0-8
>
> $ rpm -qf /usr/share/sgml/openjade-1.3.1/catalog
> openjade-1.3.1-4

Probably a packaging upgrade bug of some kind ...

--
Hal Burgiss

From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 4 Jun 2002 14:07:52 -0000

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 07:30:22AM -0500, Chip Cuccio wrote:
> Thank you so much, both Hal and Tabatha!

Hal and Tabatha are both just wonderful to work with. We have some
fine folks here at the LDP.

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

Let My worship be in the heart that rejoices,
For behold--
All acts of love and pleasure are My rituals.
		-- from The Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente