docbook: Thread: DocBook HTML cleanup

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: DocBook HTML cleanup
From: Chip Cuccio ####@####.####
Date: 4 Jun 2002 00:09:16 -0000

Yaayy...got it working...(thanks go out to Hal and Tabatha!).

One quick question, when I render my DB to HTML, I get the infamous:

<snip>

><head
><title
....etc

</snip>

I recall seeing some script out there that "cleans up" that strange HTML formatting into something more "beautiful".

Does anyone know what I am refering to, or where to retrieve it?

Thank you all...
-----------------------------
Chip Cuccio
chipster --at-- norlug __dot__ org
PGP Key: http://www.norlug.org/~chipster/public_key

Subject: Re: DocBook HTML cleanup
From: Gregory Leblanc ####@####.####
Date: 4 Jun 2002 00:16:04 -0000

On Mon, 2002-06-03 at 17:09, Chip Cuccio wrote:
> I recall seeing some script out there that "cleans up" that strange HTML formatting into something more "beautiful".
>
> Does anyone know what I am refering to, or where to retrieve it?

Try grabbing HTML Tidy.  http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.
Please don't copy me on replies to the list.

From: Chip Cuccio ####@####.####
Date: 4 Jun 2002 00:33:23 -0000

Thanks Greg!
(long time no speak ;-)

On 03 Jun 2002 17:12:34 -0700
"Gregory Leblanc" ####@####.#### blurted:

From: Tabatha Persad ####@####.####
Date: 4 Jun 2002 00:57:21 -0000

On Monday 03 June 2002 20:09, Chip Cuccio wrote:
> Yaayy...got it working...(thanks go out to Hal and Tabatha!).

WooHOOO!

> One quick question, when I render my DB to HTML, I get the
> infamous:
>
> <snip>
> ><head
> ><title
>
> ....etc
>
> </snip>

Hm, I know you got an answer on that one.  Are you still using the
script, or the tools from the HOWTO?

One thing, I use Emacs to edit my files, and whenever I load them
there, they are fine.  No weirdness.  And there's a tool to Normalize
under one of the drop down menus, which fixes messes like that...

Just thought I'd pass that on!

Enjoy!

--
Tabatha Persad
Web: http://www.merlinmonroe.com
From: Chip Cuccio ####@####.####
Date: 4 Jun 2002 01:38:47 -0000

> Hm, I know you got an answer on that one.  Are you still using the
> script, or the tools from the HOWTO?

I used the cool HOWTO you sent me (you rock :-).  I ended up ripping out all DB/SGML, etc. RPM's and installing from scratch.
I upgraded from RH 7.2 to 7.3 and it seemed to have broken some stuff, so the HOWTO came in handy...really handy :-)

> One thing, I use Emacs to edit my files, and whenever I load them
> there, they are fine.  No weirdness.  And there's a tool to Normalize
> under one of the drop down menus, which fixes messes like that...

Are you talking about your DB source, or rendered HTML?
To edit my DB source,
I use Vim, with a really cool DocBook-laden .vimrc (thanks to Greg F. for showing me that vimrc).
In case anyone is interested, I got it here:
http://www.lodestar2.com/software/docbook/vimrc

In any event, I tried Emacs, but I don't seem to have the Normalize command.  Maybe it's in your
.emacs?  Tidy works VERY well, but it inserts another GENERATOR meta tag (on top of DocBook's), and it seems to auto-declare the DOCTYPE as HTML 4.01 Trans.  While this may be OK, all I wanted to do is "beautify", not modify my HTML source...ya know?

In the interim, I can always write a script to tidy the HTML, then sed/awk out the extraneous stuff Tidy puts into it.  Oh well :-/

Thanks for your input, etc!
-----------------------------
Chip Cuccio - the DocBook n00b - aspiring LDP contributor
From: Tabatha Persad ####@####.####
Date: 4 Jun 2002 04:17:08 -0000

On Monday 03 June 2002 21:39, Chip Cuccio wrote:
> I used the cool HOWTO you sent me (you rock :-).  I ended up
> ripping out all DB/SGML, etc. RPM's and installing from scratch. I
> upgraded from RH 7.2 to 7.3 and it seemed to have broken some
> stuff, so the HOWTO came in handy...really handy :-)

Ain't it great!

> > One thing, I use Emacs to edit my files, and whenever I load them
> > there, they are fine.  No weirdness.  And there's a tool to
> > Normalize under one of the drop down menus, which fixes messes
> > like that...
>
> Are you talking about your DB source, or rendered HTML?
> To edit my DB source,
> I use Vim, with a really cool DocBook-laden .vimrc (thanks to Greg
> F. for showing me that vimrc). In case anyone is interested, I got
> it here:
> http://www.lodestar2.com/software/docbook/vimrc

Both.  I edit everything in Emacs (not XEmacs, ewww).  It's moldy
dark green screen has become my best friend, and plugs in a lot of
cool tools, depending on what your file extension is.  If you load
html, it offers you an html drop-down.

> In any event, I tried Emacs, but I don't seem to have the Normalize
> command.  Maybe it's in your .emacs?  Tidy works VERY well, but it
> inserts another GENERATOR meta tag (on top of DocBook's), and it
> seems to auto-declare the DOCTYPE as HTML 4.01 Trans.  While this
> may be OK, all I wanted to do is "beautify", not modify my HTML
> source...ya know?

You probably don't have it because you need the psgml plug-in for
Emacs, psgml-1.2.4.tar.gz (you can find that at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/psgml.  Install that and then when
you load SGML into Emacs it loads the additional drop-downs, lets you
highlight your tags, list valid tags when you're in your doc etc.  If
you can get through installing this, then you can handle Emacs.

Maybe something to try when you're feeling adventurous?

Enjoy!

From: Chip Cuccio ####@####.####
Date: 4 Jun 2002 04:30:49 -0000

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002 21:22:54 -0400
"Tabatha Persad" ####@####.#### blurted:

>I edit everything in Emacs (not XEmacs, ewww).  It's moldy
> dark green screen has become my best friend

now _that_ is a riot!  "moldy green screen"...  hehehe

> You probably don't have it because you need the psgml plug-in for
> Emacs, psgml-1.2.4.tar.gz (you can find that at
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/psgml.  Install that and then when
> you load SGML into Emacs it loads the additional drop-downs, lets you
> highlight your tags, list valid tags when you're in your doc etc.  If
> you can get through installing this, then you can handle Emacs.
>
> Maybe something to try when you're feeling adventurous?

Ya know, I knew that, but my brain has been overloaded for weeks now!  sigh...
* as chip opens up galeon and d-loads pgsml *

Thanks!
-----------------------------
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 4 Jun 2002 14:10:19 -0000

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 07:34:00PM -0500, Chip Cuccio wrote:
> Thanks Greg!
> (long time no speak ;-)

HTML tidy lets you customize which elements are block elements, which
are inline, etc. If you or anybody else ever writes such a
customization for DocBook, it would be a real asset to the LDP.

> On 03 Jun 2002 17:12:34 -0700
> "Gregory Leblanc" ####@####.#### blurted:
>
> > On Mon, 2002-06-03 at 17:09, Chip Cuccio wrote:
> > > I recall seeing some script out there that "cleans up" that strange HTML formatting into something more "beautiful".
> > >
> > > Does anyone know what I am refering to, or where to retrieve it?
> >
> > Try grabbing HTML Tidy.  http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

The Microsoft corporate culture can be broken down into four key parts: a
tremendous work ethic; Bill Gates is always right; an us-versus-them
mentality; and Bill Gates is always right.
	--Michael Gartenberg, Gartner Group Vice President.