docbook: Thread: '>' and other character entities?

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: '>' and other character entities?
From: Steven Sanfratello ####@####.####
Date: 1 Feb 2002 04:18:16 -0000

here and there in my final output files (HTML, PDF, DVI, ...) i want to
have '>', '<' and the copyright character.  i've tried to put the entities
in my SGML (&gt;, &lt;, &copy;) but they don't come through in the HTML.
(i haven't checked the other formats yet.)

how can i use those characters, and others like them in Docbook?  do
I need to declare them as a parameter entity or something like that?  aren't
those characters already built into DocBook XML V4.1.2?

--
  __/_    _    _
_) /(- \/(-  _) .
From: Steven Sanfratello ####@####.####
Date: 1 Feb 2002 04:44:19 -0000

alright.  i've found the <copyright> element, which gives me
the (C) character.  but i still need to use the '>' character.

From: Dan York ####@####.####
Date: 6 Feb 2002 16:28:29 -0000

Steven,

> here and there in my final output files (HTML, PDF, DVI, ...) i want to
> have '>', '<' and the copyright character.  i've tried to put the entities
> in my SGML (&gt;, &lt;, &copy;) but they don't come through in the HTML.
> (i haven't checked the other formats yet.)
>
> how can i use those characters, and others like them in Docbook?  do
> I need to declare them as a parameter entity or something like that?  aren't
> those characters already built into DocBook XML V4.1.2?

I use &gt; and &lt; (and &amp;) all the time in my various DocBook
(SGML and XML) documents and have had no problems whatsoever with them.
So, yes, they do work in DocBook.  I would suspect there may be some
issue with your processing tools... what are you using?

Regards,
Dan

--
Dan York, Product Line Manager, SME Server and ServiceLink
Mitel Networks Corporation                 ####@####.####
From: Steve Sanfratello ####@####.####
Date: 7 Feb 2002 05:33:33 -0000

On Wednesday 06 February 2002 11:21, Dan York wrote:
> Steven,
>
> I use &gt; and &lt; (and &amp;) all the time in my various DocBook
> (SGML and XML) documents and have had no problems whatsoever with them.
> So, yes, they do work in DocBook.  I would suspect there may be some
> issue with your processing tools... what are you using?
>
> Regards,
> Dan
>
> --
> Dan York, Product Line Manager, SME Server and ServiceLink

this is the line i use to convert to html.
jade -t sgml -i html -E 65534 -d /usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets-1.61/common/ldp.dsl\#html ../../LDP/howto/docbook/rpmupgrade.sgml/rpmupgrade.sgml

my public identifyer is: -//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN

this is my first time learning using docbook/jade.  i've
attempted to install several different sgml tools and
jade was the first one that i got working, that's the
only reason that i'm using it.

do you see anything obviously wrong with that command line?
which DTD and DSSSL that you prefer?

--