docbook: Thread: Re: Strange/buggy SGML export using LyX - qoutes

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: Strange/buggy SGML export using LyX - qoutes
From: Peter Bieringer ####@####.####
Date: 30 Jan 2002 07:32:27 -0000

--On Tuesday, January 29, 2002 03:11:30 PM -0800 Gregory Leblanc
####@####.#### wrote:

>> ----
>> 2. problem:
>>
>> LyX sometimes exports left and right quotes which aren't understand
>> by "nsgmls"
>>
>> Examples:
>>  &ldquo;
>>  &rdquo;
>>
>> Fix: replace them with &quot;

> Uh, those should work in DocBook, as far as I know.  I don't use
> them to encapsulate text, instead I use <quote></quote>.  Don't
> know if LyX has that capability.  This one warrants more
> investigation, to see why your copy of Jade doesn't like those
> entities.

Oh sorry, there was a mismatch, you're right, they are understand by
Jade but the generated HTML code is strange and not understood by
some browsers.

Example:

"12.1. Red Hat Linux and ?clones?"

In generated native HTML its defined as

>12.1. <A
HREF="x1173.html"
>Red Hat Linux and &#8220;clones&#8221;</A
></DT

While in SGML it's defined as

   <title>
   Red Hat Linux and &ldquo;clones&rdquo;
  </title>

E.g. Opera don't recognice &#8220; and &#8221

        Peter

From: Gregory Leblanc ####@####.####
Date: 30 Jan 2002 16:54:24 -0000

On Tue, 2002-01-29 at 23:32, Peter Bieringer wrote:

> --On Tuesday, January 29, 2002 03:11:30 PM -0800 Gregory Leblanc
> ####@####.#### wrote:
>
> >> ----
> >> 2. problem:
> >>
> >> LyX sometimes exports left and right quotes which aren't understand
> >> by "nsgmls"
> >>
> >> Examples:
> >>  &ldquo;
> >>  &rdquo;
> >>
> >> Fix: replace them with &quot;
>
> > Uh, those should work in DocBook, as far as I know.  I don't use
> > them to encapsulate text, instead I use <quote></quote>.  Don't
> > know if LyX has that capability.  This one warrants more
> > investigation, to see why your copy of Jade doesn't like those
> > entities.
>
> Oh sorry, there was a mismatch, you're right, they are understand by
> Jade but the generated HTML code is strange and not understood by
> some browsers.
>
> Example:
[snip]

Ahh, ok, that makes sense.  Hmm, I wonder if there's a flag that you can
toggle for that in the stylesheets...
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.

From: Peter Bieringer ####@####.####
Date: 30 Jan 2002 18:43:57 -0000

--On Wednesday, January 30, 2002 08:53:41 AM -0800 Gregory Leblanc
####@####.#### wrote:

>> > Uh, those should work in DocBook, as far as I know.  I don't use
>> > them to encapsulate text, instead I use <quote></quote>.  Don't
>> > know if LyX has that capability.  This one warrants more
>> > investigation, to see why your copy of Jade doesn't like those
>> > entities.
>>
>> Oh sorry, there was a mismatch, you're right, they are understand
>> by Jade but the generated HTML code is strange and not understood
>> by some browsers.
>>
>> Example:
> [snip]
>
> Ahh, ok, that makes sense.  Hmm, I wonder if there's a flag that
> you can toggle for that in the stylesheets...

If so, Greg Ferguson be notified about this how to do (I've reported
already the problem, but he had no solution until now).

        Peter

From: "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####
Date: 30 Jan 2002 19:36:12 -0000

On Jan 30,  7:43pm, Peter Bieringer wrote:
> Subject: Re: Strange/buggy SGML export using LyX - qoutes
>

> --On Wednesday, January 30, 2002 08:53:41 AM -0800 Gregory Leblanc

> >> Oh sorry, there was a mismatch, you're right, they are understand
> >> by Jade but the generated HTML code is strange and not understood
> >> by some browsers.
> >>
> >> Example:
> > [snip]
> >
> > Ahh, ok, that makes sense.  Hmm, I wonder if there's a flag that
> > you can toggle for that in the stylesheets...
>
> If so, Greg Ferguson be notified about this how to do (I've reported
> already the problem, but he had no solution until now).

That's not a solution, just something to check on ;-). Actually, I
did check for that and unless I missed something, I found no
such flag or mapping. There's a 'dingbat' mapping function in the
DSSSL html stylesheets, but I'm not entirely sure how it works or
gets called.

I could tweak the entity file(s) to map ldquo/rdquo to quot, but
I'm not sure that's the right thing to do. I'm open to other suggestions
or ideas.

--
Ferg