docbook: Thread: docbook & xml

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: docbook & xml
From: Marius Andreiana ####@####.####
Date: 9 Aug 2001 09:27:46 -0000

Hi

I've looked on LDP-Author-Guide and it mentions the subj.,
but I have some unclear things:

Are xsl references allowed? if not, transformation
to html by viewers will be done with some standard
xsl stylesheets?

Will the transformation be done by the client with xsl
stylesheets or users will get html files transformed
by a script using xsl stylesheets? (like sgml2html
for example, but using xslt)

And finally, if this is a standard, there will be standard
xsl stylesheets available, right? (to make html, pdf using
fop...) These are the stylesheets?
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/docbook/xsl/

Thanks!

--
Marius Andreiana
--

Subject: Re: docbook & xml
From: Gregory Leblanc ####@####.####
Date: 10 Aug 2001 06:33:43 -0000

On 09 Aug 2001 12:26:12 +0300, Marius Andreiana wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've looked on LDP-Author-Guide and it mentions the subj.,
> but I have some unclear things:
>
> Are xsl references allowed? if not, transformation
> to html by viewers will be done with some standard
> xsl stylesheets?

Well, they're allowed, but they won't be respected at the moment, since
all of our document processing is done via DSSSL.  As for "standard"
XSLt stylesheets, when things move that way, Norm Walsh's stylesheets
will probably be used, along with the nice customization layer that Dan
York has hacked up for us.

> Will the transformation be done by the client with xsl
> stylesheets or users will get html files transformed
> by a script using xsl stylesheets? (like sgml2html
> for example, but using xslt)

There are a couple of help browsers on the horison with this capability,
both of which are based on libxslt (www.xmlsoft.org).  They'll end up
converting things to HTML and then rendering the HTML, since doing
anything else is a lot more work at this point.

> And finally, if this is a standard, there will be standard
> xsl stylesheets available, right? (to make html, pdf using
> fop...) These are the stylesheets?
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/docbook/xsl/

Yeah, those are the stylesheets that everybody starts with, because Norm
has already done most of the hard work for us, and the rest is just
customizing things a bit.  Hope that helps,
	Greg

From: Dan York ####@####.####
Date: 13 Aug 2001 15:29:04 -0000

Marius,

Greg has already provided some answers, so I'll just add this:

> And finally, if this is a standard, there will be standard
> xsl stylesheets available, right? (to make html, pdf using
> fop...) These are the stylesheets?
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/docbook/xsl/

I think the best way to download Norm's XSL stylesheets is through:

Just look down for the heading "docbook-xsl".

I have been working on an XSL customization layer for the LDP. You can
obtain the current set of files through:

  http://cvsview.linuxdoc.org/index.cgi/builder/xsl/

FYI, I have just come upon some changes that need to be made to those,
but probably will not be doing so until later this week... so it may
change soon.  However, they are at least a start.

Regards,
Dan

--
Dan York, Director of Training        ####@####.####
Ph: +1-613-751-4401  Mobile: +1-613-263-4312 Fax: +1-613-564-7739