docbook: Thread: revison history in DocBook 's

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: revison history in DocBook 's
From: "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####
Date: 27 Mar 2001 16:19:59 -0000

DocBook sgml/xml documents filtered to HTML with the current
DSSSL styles hide the <revhistory>, if the top-level container
element happens to be <book> (for <article>, the history is
displayed).

Comparisons:

    http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/SCSI-2.4-HOWTO/

        (DocBook SGML, <book>, with a <revhistory> in the SGML)

    http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Partition/
    http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Nvidia-OpenGL-Configuration/

        (DocBook SGML, <article>, with a <revhistory> in the SGML)

---

Anyone have any thoughts or preferences on if this table should
be shown for <book>'s?  I can modify ldp.dsl if it's needed.

Note that if it isn't included, no where in the document will the
revision number and date be shown unless the author explicitly
repeats it in another area of the book (e.g. a "record of revision"
section).

r,
Ferg
Subject: Re: revison history in DocBook 's
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 27 Mar 2001 16:28:36 -0000

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 11:13:58AM -0500, Greg Ferguson wrote:
> DocBook sgml/xml documents filtered to HTML with the current
> DSSSL styles hide the <revhistory>, if the top-level container
> element happens to be <book> (for <article>, the history is
> displayed).
>
> Comparisons:
>
>     http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/SCSI-2.4-HOWTO/
>
>         (DocBook SGML, <book>, with a <revhistory> in the SGML)
>
>     http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Partition/
>     http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Nvidia-OpenGL-Configuration/
>
>         (DocBook SGML, <article>, with a <revhistory> in the SGML)
>
> ---
>
> Anyone have any thoughts or preferences on if this table should
> be shown for <book>'s?  I can modify ldp.dsl if it's needed.
>
> Note that if it isn't included, no where in the document will the
> revision number and date be shown unless the author explicitly
> repeats it in another area of the book (e.g. a "record of revision"
> section).

Seems to me we should be consistent unless there is a good reason not
to be, and I can't think of one.

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####
                                       Finger me for my public key

Do you guys know what you're doing, or are you just hacking?
From: ####@####.####
Date: 27 Mar 2001 16:33:14 -0000

I like the idea of displaying the <revhistory> table for books. I know some
people were concerned that the revhistory table can grow too long too
quickly, though. Maybe we need an option that enables only the first
<revision> entry to be displayed, with the rest of the <revision> entries
commented out in the HTML or rendered as <META> tags in the HTML head
section.

It doesn't make sense to me to require the writer to duplicate information
when we've got a perfectly good DocBook structure for it.

Dan

Dan Scott -- DB2 ID (App. Dev. Team)
Email: ####@####.####

"Greg Ferguson" ####@####.#### on 03/27/2001 11:14:20 AM

Please respond to "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####

To:   ####@####.####
cc:
Subject:  revison history in DocBook <book>'s

http://list.linuxdoc.org/

From: Mark Komarinski ####@####.####
Date: 27 Mar 2001 16:51:00 -0000

I'd like to see at least the revision number and date information.

Having the revision info is nice, but not required.

-Mark

--
Mark Komarinski - Senior Systems Engineer - VA Linux Systems
(cell)  978-697-2228