docbook: Thread: I need some advice, please

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: I need some advice, please
From: "Stef Potters" ####@####.####
Date: 7 Mar 2001 10:02:14 -0000

Hi,

I want to install RedHat 6.1 on a portable computer that I bought second
hand. There are a few problems though:
- I cannot enter my BIOS (howcome I don't know) but by startup the
  computer always asks to run the SETUP and to press F1 to continu.
  This leads to the fact that I cannot boot from CD-rom
- The second problem is that I do not manage to make linux boot
  diskettes. How can I do this? In school we have computers running the
  Linux Red Hat with the full installation. Is there any program in the
  X-Windows that can make boot disks?
- And the third (and maybe most important problem) is that I do not
  exactly now how to make my partitions. I wanted to make partitions
  with fdisk (in DOS) but I'm only able to make one primary partition.
  Do I need more than one? (My HD-capacity is about 650 Megs)

I hope I've reached the right people to help me. I'm getting pretty nerveous
over the fact that I spend nights behind my computer without any progress at
all. AND I REALLY WANT LINUX!

Sincerely yours,

Stef Potters