docbook: Thread: Modified ldp.dsl to all role=strong in a doc

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Modified ldp.dsl to all role=strong in a doc
From: Dan York ####@####.####
Date: 10 Jan 2001 15:31:51 -0000

Folks,

FYI, I've been working on a (non-LDP) document in DocBook and using
the ldp.dsl file because I like some of the formatting changes that
have been introduced.  However, in my document, I needed to make some
words bold (to match the style of the pre-DocBook doc). Since I couldn't
figure out any other way to do this with either Norman's regular DSSSL
files or the ldp.dsl file,  I introduced a "role" attribute to the
<emphasis> tag, so that now the following works:

The relevant lines I added to the bottom of the HTML section of my
"ldp.dsl" file were:

  (element emphasis
    (if (equal? (attribute-string "role") "strong")
       (make element gi: "STRONG" (process-children))
       (make element gi: "EM" (process-children))))

I have not (yet) customized the print part of the style sheet, mostly
because I've been working on the online documents right now, and also
because I just haven't had time to read up on how to change the print
attributes.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention it here. I've also attached my version
of the altered ldp.dsl file.  I don't know if this is something that
others want to incorporate.

This works for me, but I do wonder - did I miss something in
the rest of the DSSSL stylesheets?  Is there some other way to make
something bold?

Regards,
Dan

--
Dan York, Director of Training        ####@####.####
Ph: +1-613-751-4401  Mobile: +1-613-263-4312 Fax: +1-613-564-7739

<!DOCTYPE style-sheet PUBLIC "-//James Clark//DTD DSSSL Style Sheet//EN" [
<!ENTITY % html "IGNORE">
<![%html;[
<!ENTITY % print "IGNORE">
<!ENTITY docbook.dsl SYSTEM "/usr/lib/sgml/stylesheets/docbook/html/docbook.dsl" CDATA dsssl>
]]>
<!ENTITY % print "INCLUDE">
<![%print;[
<!ENTITY docbook.dsl SYSTEM "/usr/lib/sgml/stylesheets/docbook/print/docbook.dsl" CDATA dsssl>
]]>
]>

;; ==============================
;; customize the print stylesheet
;; ==============================

(declare-characteristic preserve-sdata?
  ;; this is necessary because right now jadetex does not understand
  ;; symbolic entities, whereas things work well with numeric entities.
  "UNREGISTERED::James Clark//Characteristic::preserve-sdata?"
  #f)

(define %generate-article-toc%
  ;; Should a Table of Contents be produced for Articles?
  #t)

(define (toc-depth nd)
  2)

(define %generate-article-titlepage-on-separate-page%
  ;; Should the article title page be on a separate page?
  #t)

(define %section-autolabel%
  ;; Are sections enumerated?
  #t)

(define %footnote-ulinks%
  ;; Generate footnotes for ULinks?
  #f)

(define %bop-footnotes%
  ;; Make "bottom-of-page" footnotes?
  #f)

(define %body-start-indent%
  ;; Default indent of body text
  0pi)

(define %para-indent-firstpara%
  ;; First line start-indent for the first paragraph
  0pt)

(define %para-indent%
  ;; First line start-indent for paragraphs (other than the first)
  0pt)

(define %block-start-indent%
  ;; Extra start-indent for block-elements
  0pt)

(define formal-object-float
  ;; Do formal objects float?
  #t)

(define %hyphenation%
  ;; Allow automatic hyphenation?
  #t)

(define %admon-graphics%
  ;; Use graphics in admonitions?
  #f)

<!--
;; ===================================================
;; customize the html stylesheet; borrowed from Cygnus
;; at http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ (cygnus-both.dsl)
;; ===================================================
-->

(declare-characteristic preserve-sdata?
  ;; this is necessary because right now jadetex does not understand
  ;; symbolic entities, whereas things work well with numeric entities.
  "UNREGISTERED::James Clark//Characteristic::preserve-sdata?"
  #f)

(define %generate-legalnotice-link%
  ;; put the legal notice in a separate file
  #t)

(define %admon-graphics-path%
  ;; use graphics in admonitions, set their
  "../images/")

(define %admon-graphics%
  #f)

(define %funcsynopsis-decoration%
  ;; make funcsynopsis look pretty
  #t)

(define %html-ext%
  ".html")

(define %generate-article-toc%
  ;; Should a Table of Contents be produced for Articles?
  ;; If true, a Table of Contents will be generated for each 'Article'.
  #t)

(define %generate-part-toc%
  #t)

(define %generate-article-titlepage%
  #t)

(define (chunk-skip-first-element-list)
  ;; forces the Table of Contents on separate page
  '())

(define %root-filename%
  ;; The filename of the root HTML document (e.g, "index").

(define %shade-verbatim%
  #t)

(define %use-id-as-filename%
  ;; Use ID attributes as name for component HTML files?
  #t)

(define %graphic-default-extension%
  "gif")

(define %section-autolabel%
  ;; For enumerated sections (1.1, 1.1.1, 1.2, etc.)
  #t)

(define (toc-depth nd)
  ;; more depth, 2 levels, to toc, instead of flat hierarchy
  2)

;; DY - Nov 2000 - added text below to make role=strong equate to bold

(element emphasis
  (if (equal? (attribute-string "role") "strong")
     (make element gi: "STRONG" (process-children))
     (make element gi: "EM" (process-children))))

<external-specification id="docbook" document="docbook.dsl">