docbook: Thread: empty/strange toc entries

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: empty/strange toc entries
From: "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####
Date: 24 Jan 2001 20:22:43 -0000

For those following the discussion about the XML-RPC-HOWTO,
we found a strange/empty table of contents entry following
processing, such as (denoted by ">>"):

    3. XML-RPC vs. Other Protocols
         3.1. XML-RPC vs. CORBA
         3.2. XML-RPC vs. DCOM
         3.3. XML-RPC vs. SOAP
    4. Sample API: sumAndDifference
>>       2
    5. Using XML-RPC with Perl

I ran thru the dsssl processing and found the cuplrit,
an element called "list-element-list" which is a "list of
lists" found in the chunked block.

This element is appended onto the set of toc elements.
In the case of the XML-RPC HOWTO, the list embedded in
section 4 had no title, and hence the label for the item
was empty.

I'm not sure if embedding references to lists inside the
main table of contents is really needed, so I added this
to ldp.dsl:

  (define (list-element-list)
    ;; fixes bug in Table of Contents generation; empty list
    '())

which corrects the problem and produces a valid table of contents.

r,

Greg Ferguson     - s/w engr / mtlhd         | gferg at sgi.com
SGI Tech Pubs     - http://techpubs.sgi.com/ |
Linux Doc Project - http://www.linuxdoc.org/ | gferg at metalab.unc.edu

Subject: Re: empty/strange toc entries
From: Dan York ####@####.####
Date: 26 Jan 2001 14:28:16 -0000

Ferg,

> For those following the discussion about the XML-RPC-HOWTO,
> we found a strange/empty table of contents entry following
> processing, such as (denoted by ">>"):

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't this been fixed in Norman Walsh's
1.60 or 1.61 stylesheets?  It was a problem with 1.59... and I
contacted him about it - he provided a fix (which I can't find exactly
where it was) and said he'd correct it in his next release.

So this *should* be fixed in the standard stylesheets if I am not
mistaken.  (Unless this is a *second* case of extra TOC entries)

Dan

--
Dan York, Director of Training        ####@####.####
Ph: +1-613-751-4401  Mobile: +1-613-263-4312 Fax: +1-613-564-7739
From: "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####
Date: 26 Jan 2001 14:34:14 -0000

On Jan 26,  9:27am, Dan York wrote:
> Subject: Re: empty/strange toc entries
> Ferg,
>
> > For those following the discussion about the XML-RPC-HOWTO,
> > we found a strange/empty table of contents entry following
> > processing, such as (denoted by ">>"):
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't this been fixed in Norman Walsh's
> 1.60 or 1.61 stylesheets?  It was a problem with 1.59... and I
> contacted him about it - he provided a fix (which I can't find exactly
> where it was) and said he'd correct it in his next release.
>
> So this *should* be fixed in the standard stylesheets if I am not
> mistaken.  (Unless this is a *second* case of extra TOC entries)

It wasn't fixed with 1.60, which were the last officially released
set and are what we are now using for the LDP. 1.61 (last time I
checked) was still an "experimental release", as Norm indicated
on his site. Jorge says that the problem is fixed in 1.61.

I'll integrate those once they officially change to "released"
status (not experimental).

thanks,

Greg Ferguson     - s/w engr / mtlhd         | gferg at sgi.com
SGI Tech Pubs     - http://techpubs.sgi.com/ |