docbook: xml / xsl to pdf or ps or tex

Subject: Re: xml / xsl to pdf or ps or tex
From: David Horton ####@####.####
Date: 23 Jul 2003 21:32:44 -0000

Alasdair Hatfield wrote:
> Hi
>
> Does anyone have experience of getting good quality results going from xml to
> printable formats?

I have one more suggestion and that is XML with CSS in Mozilla.  This is
a little of the wall, but if all you want to do is display or print it
works well.

I have been working on a CSS stylesheet that will style raw XML in a
manner similar to the DocBook XSL stylesheets using Mozilla.  All it
takes is a line like this in the XML file:

<?xml-stylesheet href="MozBook.css" type="text/css"?>

It has some limitations, like the links are not clickable (that would
require some JavaScript DOM manipulation) and there is no auto-numbering
of chapters, sections, etc. due to limited support for CSS2 counters in
Mozilla.

Still, MozBook gives a nice WYSIWYG sort of preview of your work in the
browser without having to run it through a processor every time.  It
also requires little in the way of tools.  I think it will also be a
nice transition tool for HTML gurus to get familiar with XML.

Check out the stylesheet at
http://my.core.com/~dhorton/docbook/mozbook/.  There is also a
sample.xml file there that will give you an idea of what a document will
look like when styled.

Dave