docbook: xml / xsl to pdf or ps or tex

Subject: Re: xml / xsl to pdf or ps or tex
From: "Dennis Grace" ####@####.####
Date: 23 Jul 2003 15:07:59 -0000

I have had much success recently with FOP 0.20.5 and Java SDK 1.4.2 running
on RedHat 9.0. I had been attempting to make PassiveTeX work, but it's been
a losing proposition. Every time Sebastian and the TeX initiative members
fix one PassiveTeX glitch, they create three or four more. Currently, among
other problems, tables are not rendered at all well by PassiveTex.

The latest SDK download is huge, but it installs with InstallShield (which
I didn't realize was available for Linux).

If you use FOP, be sure your customization layer includes

  <xsl:param name="fop.extensions" select="0"/>

For guidance on getting FOP up and running, see Bob Stayton's DocBook XSL
reference: http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/

Dennis Grace

Information Developer
IBM Linux Technology Center
(512) 838-3937  T/L 678-3937  cell: (512)-296-7830
####@####.####

"In a democracy, dissent is an act of faith."
           J William Fulbright

                      "David Horton"
                      <dhorton@megsinet        To:       ####@####.####
                      .net>                    cc:       Alasdair Hatfield ####@####.####
                      07/23/2003 08:58
                      AM

> Hi
>
> Does anyone have experience of getting good quality results going from
xml to
> printable formats? I've picked up that .fo is a possible route but
results
> are mixed from
> pdf (using pdftex with passivetex) which is quite good
> to others producing ps which is unreadable
> to no method atall to get to tex.
>
> If anyone has experience of any of these, and or other formats, I'd be
> interested to learn how they have done it.
>
> This seems an area where the sgml tools are far stronger than the xml
tools
> that I can find.

You can get printable formats using Apache's FOP with the tldp-print.xsl
stylesheet.  So far I've gotten PDF output to work on a windoze platform
and I'm assuming FOP on Linux would give similar results.

The list of supported output formats is on Apache's site at:
http://xml.apache.org/fop/output.html

Dave

http://lists.tldp.org/