docbook: Updated XSL Stylesheets

Subject: Re: Updated XSL Stylesheets
From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 7 Jul 2003 02:39:58 -0000

On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 09:29:59PM -0500, David Horton wrote:
> xml namespace attributes is to replace them with <html:meta>, <html:i>
> and <html:pre> respectively.  My understanding is that this says to the
> XSLT processor, "hey, this is html coming up, not the default
> namespace."  The default namespace being xml in this case.  It may also
> be necessary to add a declaration of the html namespace at the beginning
> of the stylesheet, but I'm not positive on this.

I figured out how to fix this in a later email. Bob Stayton pointed this
out to me. The URL is wrong for the xml namespace. If the URL is fixed
then the document will validate.

> I like the idea of getting rid of gratuitous <table>'s.  Do you think it
> would be better to do one CSS style for all <pre> tags or do many styles
> based on class?  That way it's easier to customize, like maybe "screen"
> gets a box drawn around it, but "programlisting" does not.  Or is that
> getting carried away?

I would do one style for all <pre>s with optional classes afterward. For
example you can combined pre.screen. Anything that <pre> and <pre
class="screen"> have in common will use the values from <pre
class="screen">. Anything that is not shared will take on whatever value
is set.

For example:
	pre { background: #E0E0E0; }
	pre.screen { border: 1px solid blue; }
	pre.programlisting { background: red; }

<pre class="screen"> will be gray with a blue border
<pre class="programlisting"> will be red with a blue border

Even if there are no additional styles added to the different types of
<pre>s I would recommend leaving the classes in. If it is decided later on
to change them then the documents don't need to be re-processed.

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]