docbook: markup for debian package names

Subject: Re: markup for debian package names
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 18 Jun 2003 01:34:21 -0000

On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 09:21, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> So far I've probably spent about 6 hours on it. Which is about 4 hours
> more than I thought it would take me. Part of the problem for me is having
> to figure out what markup I should/could be using for things that there
> are no equivalent HTML tags for. I actually teach XHTML, CSS and
> Javascript at the community college level. The concept of markup and
> checking to see what the required structure for elements is very easy for
> me. Finding an appropriate model has been much more difficult.
>
> This is a useful page:
> http://tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/writing-docbook.html
> but it doesn't have most of the examples that I needed help with.

I see you're already using the guide, based on your example below! That
guide always been my main source for examples.  When that fails though,
I have the PSGML in Emacs so I can go find the next valid
tag...sometimes it gives me good ideas of which I can choose from to
use.

> One thing about that file shouldn't
> Directories
> <filename id="directory">directory</filename>
>
> be class="directory", not id="directory"? ids ought to be unique on the
> page....
> http://www.docbook.org/tdg/simple/en/html/filename.html

When I went to the page you quoted above, it showed the example at the
bottom correctly.  It is <filename class="directory"> (you can also use
single quotes I think, if you're consistent throughout).  In any case,
you may notice the choices by referring to the tables above when the
example is unclear.  That usually solves the problem.

Tab

--
Tabatha Marshall
Web: www.merlinmonroe.com