docbook: markup for debian package names

Subject: Re: markup for debian package names
From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 17 Jun 2003 05:02:02 -0000

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 07:23:18PM -0700, Tabatha Marshall wrote:
> That's a tough call.  An "application" is the name of a program, but if
> you can type in the name of the program and run it, it's a "command."
> However, since everything in Linux is a file, it's also a "filename!"

I'm still not entirely sure what to do with debian packages.

In the mean time I've made the following convention for myself: if I'm referring to
something that I can get manpages for then I call it an <application>. If
I'm referring to actually typing the word in at the prompt then I call it
a <command>.

For example:

<para>There are a few different applications/daemons you will want to
install on your system: <application>acpid</application> (the daemon that will
control your hardware states),
<application>acpi</application> (the interface to monitor events and
states) are the base install.
<application>acpi</application> Debian package is only available in
testing and unstable. If
you're running stable you won't be able to install it without playing
around with apt and your <filename>list.sources</filename> file. You can
probably
also compile from source. If you do get <application>acpi</application>
installed you can use it to monitor your system like this: <command>acpi

In this case I'm using <parameter> instead of option because you really do
have to use -V to get the output that I show. If it doesn't matter which
you choose (e.g. module or compile directly into the kernel) then I use
<option>. Another example of option would be:
You don't have to put the filename there, but it does make things a little
faster. And my last example of <option>
<command>dmesg

If you want to, you *can* read the whole output of dmesg, but it makes
your life easier to use the <option>.

For those of you who are interested, I'm about 3/4 done the HTML->DocBook
conversion. The file is currently available here:
http://xtrinsic.com/geek/articles/drafts/acpi.sgml

emma :)

--
Emma Jane Hogbin