docbook:
& titles

Subject:
& titles
From: Martin WHEELER ####@####.####
Date: 25 Jan 2001 01:55:38 -0000

Umm -- I'm having problems with knowing where to place document titles
and sub-titles in DocBook 4.1 (article) markup for use by the LDP.

render the markup for html using jade/openjade and the ldp.dsl, the
title of the overall document is placed as banner-text at the top of
every rendered html page except the first (as I would expect); followed
*immediately* by the text of the subtitle (which I would expect either
to be suppressed, or at least placed on a line of its own).
Also, on the first page, the sub-title is not placed after the title
line at the top of the page, but instead is rendered as a rubric after
all body text, and before the banner-text of the footer.

If on the other hand I place them in the <articleinfo> section (i.e. as
<articleinfo><title> and <articleinfo><subtitle> -- which for me is
counter-intuitive), then after rendering, the title and sub-title show
as the first two lines of the first html page; but nothing appears as
a banner-text header on any succeeding html pages.

The "write-around" I have currently come up with is to mark the
document title first as <article><title>; then again as <articleinfo>
<title>; and to mark the sub-title as <articleinfo><subtitle> only.

But this is a horrendous example of marking-up to produce a desired
visual effect in ONE rendering process only, and makes me most unhappy.
Now -- if I were a dsssl stylesheet programmer...
(It would be much nicer to come to the list with a solution, instead
of a problem.)

Unfortunately, I'm not; the best I can do is describe the problem and
hope that someone else realises what's happening, and where.

Any help or suggestions?
--
Martin Wheeler       -        StarTEXT - Glastonbury - BA6 9PH - England
[1] ####@####.####                   http://www.startext.co.uk/