docbook: Adding headers to html output

Subject: Re: Adding headers to html output
From: Togan Muftuoglu ####@####.####
Date: 3 Dec 2002 06:43:31 -0000

* Tabatha Persad; ####@####.#### on 02 Dec, 2002 wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm currently working on a project that requires a company logo at the
>top of the HOWTO I've written.
>
>I mostly use DocBook XML (but don't mind working in sgml) and process
>with jade/openjade using the ldp.dsl.  For some reason, when I use the
>docbook.dsl for html output, it doesn't create files, just prints to the
>screen, which is a problem I think I have to conquer before I will have
>any success with this task.

For dssl look for the main parameters in dbparam.dsl and for xsl
param.xsl

(define use-output-dir
  ;; REFENTRY use-output-dir
  ;; PURP If an output-dir is specified, should it be used?
  ;; DESC
  ;; If true, chunks will be written to the 'output-dir' instead of
  ;; the current directory.
  ;; (This option can conveniently be set with '-V use-output-dir' on
  ;; the
  ;; Jade command line).
  ;; /DESC
  ;; AUTHOR N/A
  ;; /REFENTRY
  #t)

(define %output-dir%
  ;; REFENTRY output-dir
  ;; PURP The directory to which HTML files should be written
  ;; DESC
  ;; The output directory can be set in two ways. An individual document
  ;; can specify 'output-dir="directory"' in the dbhtml PI, or the
  ;;stylesheet
  ;; can specify the '%output-dir%'. If both are specified, the PI value
  ;; will be used.
  ;;
  ;; Note: the output directory is ignored if 'use-output-dir' is not
  ;; '#t'.
  ;; (This allows the author to test stylesheets and documents without
  ;; accidentally overwriting existing documents.)
  ;; /DESC
  ;; AUTHOR N/A
  ;; /REFENTRY
  #f)

>Besides having a logo in the header (instead of just the title), I want
>the html to show the graphics for next/previous/home/up.  I think the
>logo is done in dbchunk.dsl, and navigation in dbnavig.dsl, but given
>all the problems I have using docbook.dsl, I'm not sure what to do to
>accomplish this.

>When I process sgml or xml, I type:
>openjade -t xml(/sgml) -d
>/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets/html/ldp.dsl#html
>/usr/share/sgml/xml.dcl
>
>I only use the last path when I'm processing XML.  And instead of using
>ldp.dsl, I want to use the docbook.dsl, but again, it's not creating
>files, and I'm not sure why!  Is there something glaringly obvious that
>I'm missing?  And what all would it take to insert a header graphic into
>each html page for the logo?

You need to use the <bookinfo> ( substititue for your case ie article
info) having the <mediaobject> tag including your logo

--

Togan Muftuoglu