docbook: Alternative to tag in Docbook

Subject: Re: Alternative to tag in Docbook
From: Hal Burgiss ####@####.####
Date: 9 Aug 2002 12:49:56 -0000

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 12:16:25AM -0700, odc wrote:

> Thank you for the help, but none of the options would work.  Except for
> the CSS -- I think, I have to add that into the final version of my
> document, as I do not know how to place it inline with the SGML.
>
> If anybody knows how it would be appreciated.

In line? Are you using ldp.dsl for a stylesheet? Just put this in your
stylesheet if you want finished doc to be css aware:

(define %stylesheet%
  ;; REFENTRY stylesheet
  ;; PURP Name of the stylesheet to use
  ;; DESC
  ;; The name of the stylesheet to place in the HTML LINK TAG, or '#f' to
  ;; suppress the stylesheet LINK.
  ;; /DESC
  ;; AUTHOR N/A
  ;; /REFENTRY
  "my_doc.css")

(define %stylesheet-type%
  ;; REFENTRY stylesheet-type
  ;; PURP The type of the stylesheet to use
  ;; DESC
  ;; The type of the stylesheet to place in the HTML LINK TAG.
  ;; /DESC
  ;; AUTHOR N/A
  ;; /REFENTRY
  "text/css")

(define %css-liststyle-alist%
  ;; REFENTRY css-liststyle-alist
  ;; PURP Map DocBook OVERRIDE and MARK attributes to CSS
  ;; DESC
  ;; If '%css-decoration%' is turned on then the list-style-type property of
  ;; list items will be set to reflect the list item style selected in the
  ;; DocBook instance.  This associative list maps the style type names used
  ;; in your instance to the appropriate CSS names.  If no mapping exists,
  ;; the name from the instance will be used.
  ;; /DESC
  ;; AUTHOR N/A
  ;; /REFENTRY
  '(("bullet" "disc")
    ("box" "square")))

(define %css-decoration%
  ;; REFENTRY css-decoration
  ;; PURP Enable CSS decoration of elements
  ;; DESC
  ;; If '%css-decoration%' is turned on then HTML elements produced bythe
  ;; stylesheet may be decorated with STYLE attributes.  For example,the
  ;; LI tags produced for list items may include a fragment of CSS inthe
  ;; STYLE attribute which sets the CSS property "list-style-type".
  ;; /DESC
  ;; AUTHOR N/A
  ;; /REFENTRY
  #t)

> I am, also a little dissapointed with the whole SGML Docbook concept.
>
> Why cannot I use <br> ?

Well, I think the whole idea behind docbook is *content* and not the
finished look. That is up to the stylesheets and presentation vehicle.

> Why isn't <para> abbreviated to <p> for simplicities sake ?

These are not simple people :)

--
Hal Burgiss